• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • During load development, do you clean the barrel when switching powders?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.7%
    • Sometimes/It depends

Votes: 1 6.7%
    • No

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Cleaning barrel between powder changes?

After reading a thread on accurateshooter.com, I'm curious what the MDS concensus is (or if there is one.)

]https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/load-development-question.3935808/#post-37069135

Some folks said it was important, some said just a wet-then-dry patch to remove unburnt powder residue, some said only when switching between ball and stick, some said only when switching between powder manufacturers, and some said no, are you crazy?

Part of what is sparking my curiosity is I'm doing some subsonic load development for a few sbrs in different calibers. Since there isn't much room for charge weight tweaking once you've found the charge weight that gets you the velocity you want when loading subsonic rounds, I'm trying out 6 different powders (3 ball, 3 extruded) to see which is most accurate (and has small SD) for different heavy-for-caliber bullets.

I did something similar for my (18" length) .450 Bushmaster with 395 gr Sub-X bullets.
    I found what seemed to be a clear "winner" there doing a shoot-off, but I was not doing any cleaning between powders. So the powders tested after the "winner" might have done better with a cleaner barrel.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    If you are doing precision testing developing an optimal load, cleaning between tests I think is a good thing. Probably not for your reasons, but just to have a known baseline.

Feb 15, 2024
    Frederick County
    Yes, I do when trying new loads with different powders seeking the best accuracy.
    Different powders will leave different fouling, so will different manufacturer's bullets for that matter.

Tracker12

Dec 29, 2016
    I find most of my guns shoot better with a fouled barrel. I have gone to the range and shot several different loads while experimenting and have not found an advantage to cleaning.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    b9ce2f36138241d74758951bc7abf01f68e836db21d97f8bf63547352d0d33c4_1.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I understand the idea behind it. But no. I don't when switching between different commercial manufacturer's loads, why would I or my own? If there is any impact, it is too tiny to notice for me.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    When working up loads, I have usually experimented with one powder/bullet type and weight/ primer type at a time. I will mostly vary the powder charge weights. If I am unhappy with the results, I will play with a different powder at a different time. So, I generally will clean between powder types since I most often clean between shooting sessions.

Never really did the cleaning between sessions with differing powders intentionally as suggested in the beginning post. And, I concur that most of my best groups with a given load come from a previously fouled barrel. So not sure I would if I did change powder types in one shooting session. I guess I could do what I do when checking a sight in starting with a clean barrel - take into consideration that the first shot or 2 might be affected with groups settling in after the bore is fouled

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom