Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What is the max powder a Md resident can purchase @ 1 time
    and/or store @ home
    Thanx
    Dan

5 pounds and 5 pounds without the $50 license.
    If you live in an apartment building, storing powder there is a no no. In a house it is 5 pounds "in any one location" which can be interpreted to mean the whole house is "any one location".

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    By the way, there are no qualifications for recieving the license other than passing the background check if the powder is just for reloading and not for sale.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    By the way, there are no qualifications for recieving the license other than passing the background check if the powder is just for reloading and not for sale.

Isn't there a distinction between Black Powder and Smokeless Propellent?

I believe that there is a 5lb limit on BP but I recall hearing that there is a higher limit on Smokeless Powder/Propellent

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

I believe that there is a 5lb limit on BP but I recall hearing that there is a higher limit on Smokeless Powder/Propellent

Yes, there is a distinction in the law, but it is contradictory as to how much you can have of both together, or individually. One section states:
    (d) Same - Possession of explosives for use in firearms.-

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.

(2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.
    ...and this implies you can have five punds of each, but the other section:
    § 11-115. Same - Explosives for use in firearms; required reports.

(a) Prohibitions on possession or storage of explosives for use in firearms.-

(1) A person may not possess at any time or store in any one place more than 5 pounds of smokeless powder or more than 5 pounds of black powder for use in firearms unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.
    ....this suggests the opposite by using "or" it implies that you cannot have a total of more than five pounds.

http://www.firemarshal.state.md.us/expl.htm#11-105

Have to ask the Fire Marshal or the AG's office just which it means.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD

Let me know when you talk to "Frank" about this. I would like to be there! I am betting on "Frank."

Jim Sr

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    My local dealer told me the limit is 5 lbs of Smokeless Powder (SP) and 5 lbs of Black Powder (BP), for a total of 10 lbs. They tried to get the Maryland Legislature to change the limit to 10 lbs total, inclusive of SP and BP, a few years ago but were not successful.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom