• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justicedon

Nov 6, 2023
    Md
    A freind of my father sold me a Norinko MAK 90 Sporter some time around 1984. I have had the rifle since then. Am I required to register it? I am considering “loaning” it to my son because I don’t shoot it anymore. He wants to take it to an outdoor range and shoot it. The problem is that I have no proof as to when I bought it and don’t want to risk having it confiscated because I never got around to registering it. Should I register it now? I don’t know if the original owner registered it. I’m worried that now I have a gun that is potentially illegal. I don’t know what to do.

Justicedon

Nov 6, 2023
    Md
    A freind of my father sold me a Norinko MAK 90 Sporter some time around 1984. I have had the rifle since then. Am I required to register it? I am considering “loaning” it to my son because I don’t shoot it anymore. He wants to take it to an outdoor range and shoot it. The problem is that I have no proof as to when I bought it and don’t want to risk having it confiscated because I never got around to registering it. Should I register it now? I don’t know if the original owner registered it. I’m worried that now I have a gun that is potentially illegal. I don’t know what to do.
    Correction to my post. The rifle was purchased around 1994. I said 1984 by mistake. My bad.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I don't know the answer to your question but I will say that I have never been questioned by any LE at any range, ever
    And welcome aboard.

Correction to my post. The rifle was purchased around 1994. I said 1984 by mistake. My bad.
    You are perfectly legal owning the rifle. "Loaning" a now banned rifle to your son could get him into trouble. The only way for your (Maryland resident) son to legally have that rifle is for you to will it to him and die.
    That being said, my experiences have mirrored rseymorejr's post above.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Neither have I. But then again I haven’t taken an AK to a range
    People take AK's, AR's, FN FAL's and other now banned items to the range every day. Nobody is checking and if they did they would need to prove that you didn't own it legally.
    Law enforcement has better things to do than sit around at a range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are you sure that wasn't 1993 ? Or spring of '94 ? It was ( I think Oct 1 ) '94 that EBR had to do a 77R .

Grandfathering has to be plausible on its face . To be a pre '94 EBR , the particular Mfg , importer , model had to have been actually made and in U.S. Commerce pre '94 , and the person must be at least 47 y.o. ( at least 18 yo in mid 1994 ) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom