• ...and so much more!
  • TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Before and after.
    375bc0e68c1e760579f62b3857305215.jpg

Pocket crimp on right.

66a47d43fb07519e60f32214c2fb0468.jpg

Crimp removed.

In the process of removing the crimp which i am assuming only rest at the top of the head, is this too much brass removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Can you seat a new one by finger pressure? the primer will move out of its pocket under pressure but should be seated by the time the case contracts, it will have dark smudge if too loose or it can fall out, leade and chamber dimensions can exacerbate the problem go easy until you get the feel for it

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I've been using a drill bit w/battery drill to ream out slightly, so enough to seat new primers firmly with taking alot out of pocket.
    works for me. I've done well over 1,000 5.56 mixed brass in last year.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Assuming you used a primer pocket reamer, it looks fine.

Get yourself one of these and you won't be sorry... ;) http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3086

One or the other will be fine. Ive tried different types and I prefer the type that j8064 shows(although mine is an RCBS). They put less pressure on the rims.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Can you seat a new one by finger pressure? the primer will move out of its pocket under pressure but should be seated by the time the case contracts, it will have dark smudge if too loose or it can fall out, leade and chamber dimensions can exacerbate the problem go easy until you get the feel for it

I could not seat a primer by hand.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I'd recommend the Hornady primer pocket reamer over the Dillon swager. No adjustment needed, it just works.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dillon Swager.

Especially when you are doing thousands of cases.

And yes, I have done thousands of cases. 5.56 and 7.62.

I have a lot of 9mm mil brass, but would like to find a 1050 to borrow for a bit. :)

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    You have very little "feel" for the resistance in seating a primer with a press vs a Lee or RCBS hand priming tool. If you can push a primer in with just your fingers, you probably shouldn't use the case.

In a case that has been reloaded hot once or several times, the primer goes in with appreciably less resistance than normal. It may well back out of the case some next time you fire it.

As for your stuck primer, the safe way is to spray a little WD-40 inside the case, wait a while then resize the case. I have read in this forum that you can just knock the primer out without the WD-40 and reuse it. Reloading equipment manufacturers do not recommend that and I am not recommending that to you. If you are doing a bunch cases and have a several unfired primers in the catch bin and one goes off, they all can go off. I have had a primer go off that way so at least wear eye protection if you decide to go forgo the WD40.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    You have very little "feel" for the resistance in seating a primer with a press vs a Lee or RCBS hand priming tool. If you can push a primer in with just your fingers, you probably shouldn't use the case.

In a case that has been reloaded hot once or several times, the primer goes in with appreciably less resistance than normal. It may well back out of the case some next time you fire it.

As for your stuck primer, the safe way is to spray a little WD-40 inside the case, wait a while then resize the case. I have read in this forum that you can just knock the primer out without the WD-40 and reuse it. Reloading equipment manufacturers do not recommend that and I am not recommending that to you. If you are doing a bunch cases and have a several unfired primers in the catch bin and one goes off, they all can go off. I have had a primer go off that way so at least wear eye protection if you decide to go forgo the WD40.

Will not forgo the wd40. Not worth it to me. Just need the case holder back and i will gladly trash one case and primer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom