• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Hello all. I was going through a plastic green footlocker I have in my basement and found several 100ct cartons of Winchester Small Rifle Primers. I would like to use these to load .30 Carbine, however the moisture in my basement gets really high (to the point you can rub your finger on a surface and it be wet) when I run my washer/dryer. I have been opening windows since I discovered this happens which helps a lot, but I am worried that the primers may have been affected. I always keep the lid of the footlocker closed and as I said earlier the primers were in their cartons. What do you think?

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Thank you...yeah I have been looking at a dehumidifiers. I just don't know what size is appropriate for the size of the basement. But it is on the too buy list.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Load up some brass, sans powder and bullet, and give them a whirl.

Listen for differences in loudness.

Grab samples from several different 100 packs.

10 should give you an indication of whether they're OK or not.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thank you...yeah I have been looking at a dehumidifiers. I just don't know what size is appropriate for the size of the basement. But it is on the too buy list.

There are charts published by the manufacturers of dehumidifiers to help you make that determination. Most deal with square footage, which you can easily determine, and humidity levels, which can run the gamut from a basement that feels somewhat damp to one with sweating walls. Not a be all and end all by any means, but at least a guide to help with determining pints per day sizing.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Primers are more robust than most people think.

I agree with the above, load (just primer) 5 - 10 from each of 3 or so packs, and fire them. If they all go bang, load, shoot, enjoy.

I left some primers in my Dillon for 16 years I was out of shooting. They shot fine.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I would get rid of those primers immediately! They are extremely dangerous. They could go off and put out your eye. But you are lucky. I happen to be an authorized Primer Removal Company.:innocent0 I will gladly pickup your primers and dispose of them properly. :D

You're GTG. :thumbsup:

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    I would get rid of those primers immediately! They are extremely dangerous. They could go off and put out your eye. But you are lucky. I happen to be an authorized Primer Removal Company.:innocent0 I will gladly pickup your primers and dispose of them properly. :D

Ha, sorry but I don't think I'll need your services.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ill load some and see how they do.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010

I can't suggest a size but when you look for a dehumidifier look for one that says it will work in a basement. Often it is cooler in the basement but the humidity can be high. The units rated for basement use are not supposed to freeze up.

I don't recall the size but I have one in my laundry room. I leave it turned on all year and it runs as needed.

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Before a dehumidifier, I would check on your dryer vent. It sounds like there is something seriously wrong with it.

The vent from the dryer works fine, the problem is is there is nowhere to hook it up so it vents to the outside...so it vents into the basement. I don't understand why they didn't do this when they built the house. The
    basement has all the other necessary hook ups.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

Ha, sorry but I don't think I'll need your services.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ill load some and see how they do.

Shooter, be careful with that guy. He is also selling snowman making kits. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom