• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WJ13US

Feb 1, 2006
    Howard County
    New member here.

I'm looking for an public outdoor range for rifle shooting.

Some background.

I reciently bought my 15 Y.O. son a Russian Capture KAR98. He has always been a HUGH WWII enthusiast. He's been working very hard on cleaning it up. Now he can't wait to shoot it (I have ammo).

He (we're) not new to firearms, we visit the indoor range frequently for pistol shooting (he's a much better shot than me). I (we own two additional guns a Glock 17 and a Winchester 1906 (.22) that my Grandfarther gave me.

So if anyone could suggest a place to go (we live in Howard County) and any other pointers that would be helpful it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This is probably the closest public range to you:

**Hap Baker Range
    Carroll County Landfill
    Route 140
    Westminster MD 21157
    Phone: 410-386-2103
    Shooting opportunities for small and large caliber rifle and pistols.
    Open to the Public. Daily or season passes are required Days and times vary.

I haven't shot there and I've read mixed reviews of it.

Check the "Places to Shoot" thread at the bottom of this forum.

Also check out the Associated Gun Clubs (AFC) that use the Marriotsville range. Not too far from northern Howard Co.

Last edited:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Yup, Hap Baker is the closest public range to you. It's a neice range and they recently added an outdoor dedicated pistol range.

There's no amenities other than a spot-a-pot and vending machine. Usually you can score a cup of coffee from the office if you ask nicely enough.

100 and 200 yard rifle ranges. I think ceasefires are called every 30 minutes to change targets.

The handgun range is relatively unsupervised. No quick firing on either range.

WJ13US

Feb 1, 2006
    Howard County
    Sorry for my newbeeish here but I never shot at an outdoor range before (only on my Grandfather's property).

The rules for Hap Baker say that its paper targets only on stationary frames. Do I need to provide something to "nail" my target to?

Bill

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    WJ13US said:
    Sorry for my newbeeish here but I never shot at an outdoor range before (only on my Grandfather's property).

The rules for Hap Baker say that its paper targets only on stationary frames. Do I need to provide something to "nail" my target to?

Bill
    With my limited experience....usually.
    Some allow string hung in between the post though (like Myrtle Grove I believe). By the way, I would suggest not to use nails, but use staples or tape instead (I wasn't sure what you meant by the quotation marks).

Oh, and welcome to Mdshooters:party29:

Last edited:

WJ13US

Feb 1, 2006
    Howard County
    Sorry I did mean staple.

I was just wondering if I need to bring just targets or some sort of wooden stand to staple my targets to.

Like I said my experience is indoor where you just hang the target on the pully or outdoor at my Grandfathers were I set stuff up on a log.

Thanks,

Bill

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Hap Baker Range has target stands/frames on the rifle range at 25, 50, 75, 100 and 200 yards. They provide staplers and staples and will sell you targets for .25 each. It's a great deal. Or you can bring your own targets if you wish.

The pistol range uses hangers with backer board that you staple your own targets to. Again, all you need is your targets or you can buy theirs.

Depending on where you are in Howard County, you could just take rte 32 up to 140, make a right on 140 and then a u - turn about a mile down. Then turn right into the county landfill and follow the signs to the range.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    My pleasure - enjoy!

One other thing....the concrete slab the you shoot on gets REALLY cold, so I'd suggest wearing wool socks and a good pair of boots. It's nicely covered to keep the rain, snow and wind out but it's not heated at all and the floor NEVER gets any sun to warm it up.

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    Spot77 said:
    Hap Baker Range has target stands/frames on the rifle range at 25, 50, 75, 100 and 200 yards.

Just a nitpick, Hap Baker doesn't have 75-yard positions.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    Hap Baker sucks because of their slow fire rules. i guess it really doesnt apply to me cuz my only rifle is a bolt action, but for pistol shooting i sometimes like to practice double taps, or unload my gun. at least the guys at Continental Arms understand where i'm comin from.

one time i unloaded an entire magazine from my CZ P-01, dropped the mag and reloaded, and emptied that mag into a B-27 target. after all 29 shots were fired, i looked back and one of the range officers was smiling and giving me the thumbs up. then some dude with a desert eagle started unloading his gun, and everyone's attention shifted to him :( he stole my thunder :sad20:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    With all the new houses popping up around Hap Baker Range they're trying to appease the neighbors by not allowing rapid fire. I understand their concern, but it sure does put a damper on defensive training.

I'd rather the range stay open with slow fire rules than to close and not be able to shoot at all.

My membership at On Target allows me all the quickfire I want. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom