• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sprocket80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 10, 2013
    Maryland
    I am amassing reloading equipment with the intention to learn reloading.
    Someone posted links to youtube videos showing a progressive unit in action. Cleaning of the cases and primer pocket was not addressed. Can someone shed a little light on the subject? In one of the videos the author picked up a spent 9mm case from the ground and ran it through the press.

I guess you clean the brass first before it is decapped?
    And how do you clean the primer pocket?
    When reloading centerfire rifle cartridges how and when do you lube the cases?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you don't already have it, get "The ABC's of Reloading", it'll answer most of your questions that you've already asked.

Lyman's 49th Edition also does a bit of a walk thru, but the ABC's of Reloading is where you should be starting. :)

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I am amassing reloading equipment with the intention to learn reloading.
    Someone posted links to youtube videos showing a progressive unit in action. Cleaning of the cases and primer pocket was not addressed. Can someone shed a little light on the subject? In one of the videos the author picked up a spent 9mm case from the ground and ran it through the press.

I guess you clean the brass first before it is decapped?
    And how do you clean the primer pocket?
    When reloading centerfire rifle cartridges how and when do you lube the cases?

Sgt Preston here...

Step #1. Typically you vibrate in a Corn Cob / Walnut mix to get the grit off of the outside...

Step #2. Next you visually inspect each piece of brass to verify that it is suitable for re-loading. Look for splits at the mouth loose primers, badly bulged cases (read the book)...

Step #3. At this point the brass goes into the first station of the progressive reloader. On the DOWN Stroke the Outside of the brass case is resized to fit in the chamber of your gun. Towards the bottom of the DOWN stroke the old primer is pushed out from the inside...

Step #4. On the UP stroke a new primer is installed in the case...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I run the cases through a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media and some Dillon polish. This cleans the grit and grime off the off the cases.

Then I just run them through the press. No primer pocket cleaning.

They shoot fine.

Maybe with a precision long range rilfe round, but those, I don't process on a progressive.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ditto on one of the many manuals that discuss the principles of reloading.

Short answers : clean the cases first ( & visual inspection ).

*most* progressive users will not make a seperate step of primer pocket cleaning , and rarely have issue with it.

*most* handloaders who are fanatic about case prep will do several processes by hand on each casing. And also usually use single stage or turret press. And not have the production rate of a progressive.

Not that one methos is right or wrong , just different.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I have never cleaned a pistol case primer pocket either, nor have I ever trimmed one.
    I do tumble them clean,then put them right into the progressive shell feeder,or right into the shell holder on my turret press and use the primer arm to prime them on the up stroke.
    DocAitch

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    1)not necessary but i run the case in tumbler.
    2)not necessary, personal pref. unless you need to take off the mil crimp..
    3)every time i resize.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom