• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Hi folks. I picked up a very-good condition H&R Model 88 in 20 gauge this weekend for under $100. I didn't have a shotgun in 20 gauge before that so it was good to add to the collection, and besides, who can say no to a $90 shotgun in great condition?

So my question is the barrel. It looks like it would be easy enough to swap out the existing barrel assembly for something in a smaller gauge, be it 28 or .410, but without having one of them laying about I can't really tell if the chambers would line up. Can you swap them out, or do they not fit?

Mind you, I realize that it may well be cheaper and easier to just find another Model 88 in a different caliber, but the engineer in me is curious.

Thanks!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    If I recall, the barrels are interchangeable, but you used to have to send the reciever in to H&R to have it fitted correctly. I don't know if they still do this.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I don't know what you mean by the chambers lining up, but the short answer is yes. The other part of the equation would be that it'll most likey work with a .410 bbl or a 28ga bbl if they made one, but probably not a 12ga. The bbl would have to be fitted and depending on the diameter of the bbl, the forend might not work. It would be cheaper and easier to justify in simply buying a matching gun in a different gauge. They are, in good condition, about a $125 gun.

Just for shits a giggles, you could also buy a 28ga or .410 chamber insert and shoot those gauges in the same bbl.

Last edited:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I don't know what you mean by the chambers lining up, but the short andswer is yes. The other part of the equation would be that it'll most likey work with a .410 bbl or a 28ga bbl if they made one, but probably not a 12ga. The bbl would have to be fitted and depending on the diameter of the bbl, the forend might not work. It would be cheaper and easier to justify in simply buying a matching gun in a different gauge. They are, in good condition, about a $125 gun.

Just for shits a giggles, you could also buy a 28ga or .410 chamber insert and shoot those gauges in the same bbl.

What he said. :D

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I don't know what you mean by the chambers lining up, but the short andswer is yes.

Meaning that if the center of the bore between the different size barrels wasn't at the same height above the attachment point, the firing pin wouldn't hit the primer. Not to mention, if the chambers are different diameters, it may not be as pleasing to look at.

The other part of the equation would be that it'll most likey work with a .410 bbl or a 28ga bbl if they made one, but probably not a 12ga.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't thinking about going up to 12. I'd rather end up in a situation with too much chamber support as opposed to not enough. But in the end, like I said, I'd probably just end up getting another gun. Easier, and still very cheap.

Ooh, now THAT I may try. Any tips on where they sell these, or just look online?

Thanks all!

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    There are numerous makers of chamber inserts at various prices. The cheapest (and what I would consider for this gun) is a gaugemate, available through gaugemate.com for about $38

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom