• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim468

Jun 9, 2012
    Question for all of you N-SSA shooters who shoot a high volume of .58 caliber Minie balls. When I played years ago I used a Lyman 450 luber/sizer with a custom die. What is the most effective way now to lube & size a high volume of this style bullet?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I use a hand push through sizer. I made a jig out of angle iron to hold the sizing die, and a steel rod to push them through. Hard to explain, but easy to make. I’ll put up some pictures of it tomorrow.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I was into it, then stopped a couple years ago. Spent a bunch of time working on accuracy for the 3 muskets I had. I would not say its high volume like using a lubrisizer but I hot dipped my minies (melted the lube, dipped then set onto a wax shee) then use a sizer from these guys. I went so far as to order a bunch of pin gauges to measure the muzzle/bore. Purchased some sizers that worked on my lee single stage press.

My Maynard Carbine came with a hand push thru sizer that you use a rubber hammer.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I have an old Ideal LubeSizer for some things...but the old North East Trade Co push-throughs are so much easier and simply work.

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    I use the Northeast push- through sizer as well. Then just quick dip in my beeswax/crisco lube.

Jim468

Jun 9, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I know there are two other veteran N-SSA shooters, both National and International class competitors, that have not chimed in. Would love to hear from you guys too.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    To be honest, my mold for the Parker-Hale drops Minies that fit the musket without sizing. I pan-lube everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom