• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Got the kit earlier this week. Finally got it unpacked. It was a bit like opening a new lego set when I was a kid. Numbers match, 1987 production. Seems like it wasn't fired much, but there is handling wear on the furniture, so I'd say it was issued. And the folks at What-A-Country were awesome enough to swap in a Hungarian 20rd mag since I can't have the 30.

8354579031_2faf788b44.jpg

Mock-up after a little tinkering:

8355639972_6ac128335e_z.jpg

I need to get the rivets out of the trunnion and the trigger guard. The barrel is a shiny new US made one. So I have a question, how and when should I coat/finish the barrel? Blued, park'd, duracoat, good ol' bbq grille paint? Before or after install and headspacing?

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I used rustolium appliance epoxy on my maadi crutch folder, because that's closest to issued finish.

Aumihide from brownells works very well and if you prepared everything, it's a very durable finish.

If you have patience, cold blue will get dark enough, but it takes a long long long time to do that many applications.

I would parkerize it if I had the choice.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Ok so my panic buy was an AK kit. Polish Underfolder. I've never done this before and have questions. Please excuse me if I ask something stupid; using google got me conflicting answers.

1. Flat or Bent Blank? I want to do an 80% build for slightly obvious reasons. Should I get a pre-drilled flat or pre-bent that needs cutting/drilling? I have no jigs and no press, but I do have a drill press. I want to take the easiest route without spending a bunch on tools. Doesn't need to be pretty, just functional and reliable.

2. 922r Parts I'm getting a US barrel, the receiver will be US, and I plan a Tapco FCG and slant brake. That's 6 parts, enough right?

3. Seeking help What can and can't I get help with since I'm doing an 80%? Can I have someone headspace the barrel for me? Can I get the receiver coated/painted by a pro? Can I seek help in welding the rails?

-Thanks

the trickiest part in my experience has been the riveting. How are you going to barrel the trunnion without a press? They're not expensive from harbor freight. Seriously, 20 ton press is essential.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Got the kit earlier this week. Finally got it unpacked. It was a bit like opening a new lego set when I was a kid. Numbers match, 1987 production. Seems like it wasn't fired much, but there is handling wear on the furniture, so I'd say it was issued. And the folks at What-A-Country were awesome enough to swap in a Hungarian 20rd mag since I can't have the 30.

8354579031_2faf788b44.jpg

Mock-up after a little tinkering:

8355639972_6ac128335e_z.jpg

I need to get the rivets out of the trunnion and the trigger guard. The barrel is a shiny new US made one. So I have a question, how and when should I coat/finish the barrel? Blued, park'd, duracoat, good ol' bbq grille paint? Before or after install and headspacing?

I'd invest in some KG gunkote from brownells or straight from KG, it's the best finish for AKs I've found. It's rugged as all hell, and doesn't have to be babied. Also, when applied over parkerizing it is without a doubt the longest lasting of any baked finish other than cerakote that is professionally applied. It's amazing.

I love the stuff.

Also, can I come to the build party? Please?

Last edited:

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    the trickiest part in my experience has been the riveting. How are you going to barrel the trunnion without a press? They're not expensive from harbor freight. Seriously, 20 ton press is essential.

You don't need a press for the barrel headspacing, but you do need one for putting the barrel pin in.

I'll take a picture of my all-thread tool tonight to show you.

parkerizing will be available at the build party, or a later time if you wanna do it 1-on-1. may be easier that way.

That's aweesome! I'm going to bring a couple kits then. :D

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Ok so my panic buy was an AK kit. Polish Underfolder. I've never done this before and have questions. Please excuse me if I ask something stupid; using google got me conflicting answers.

1. Flat or Bent Blank? I want to do an 80% build for slightly obvious reasons. Should I get a pre-drilled flat or pre-bent that needs cutting/drilling? I have no jigs and no press, but I do have a drill press. I want to take the easiest route without spending a bunch on tools. Doesn't need to be pretty, just functional and reliable.

2. 922r Parts I'm getting a US barrel, the receiver will be US, and I plan a Tapco FCG and slant brake. That's 6 parts, enough right?

3. Seeking help What can and can't I get help with since I'm doing an 80%? Can I have someone headspace the barrel for me? Can I get the receiver coated/painted by a pro? Can I seek help in welding the rails?

-Thanks

get one that's been drilled, and buy a flat bending jig.

When you receive it you will be tempted to eyeball it, DO NOT DO THIS

If you mount the bending jig to a table and follow the directions, it's fool proof. Just use the bolts to secure it to the table and bend VERY SLIGHTLY past 90 degrees on both sides.

Then send out for heat treatment, parkerize or blue once it comes back, and you're good to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom