• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I got this from Joseph as a karma giveaway in this thread http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=74376

This is the Mag Release and it came with their BHO lever
    http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Magazine_Pull_Release_Black_Matte_p/rt-mpr-010b.htm

Anyway the mag release then sat on my shelf for 4 months, because I'm a lazy ass and kept putting it off and I didn't have the tap I needed.

Well today I finally got off my ass and went to Sears and for $4 bought the drill bit and tap I needed.

The installation was relatively simple. And let me tell you, I will tap plastic anytime anyone wants me to. All my experience with taps has been in AR recievers.... Tapping the plastic trigger housing for the set screw was like buttah!!! :D I took my time and spent a lot of time making sure I understood how everything in the trigger housing worked together. And I thought I understood, until it came time for reassembly.

On reassembly, I could not get the front pin back through the trigger housing. I wailed on a good and hard with my rubber tipped hammer and got nothing. So I pulled everything back apart. I then realized the slave pin that comes with the kit is bigger then the holes in the reciever :mad54: So I tossed that aside, (it will make a nice starter pin for in my press on other projects LOL) and instead I just stuck a much much smaller pin from the trigger housing itself in the hole. This meant after getting everything in the gun, I had to play with the mag release to get it lined up with the help of a flashlight, but still, I got it all together.

So I function check everything is great, but the bolt hold open won't release. Sonofabitch... So I take it apart again and realize that the spring on the hammer is supposed to sit on the BHO. So I had to pull everything apart again, but now I can't take out the BHO because of the set screw being loctited in place (I could have, but I don't want to risk ****ing up the plastic threads in the trigger housing). So instead I just pulled the hammer out of the gun.

After that everything went together nice and easy and everything is working great :party29:

I give this kit 3 stars out of 5. I'm not totally sold on the pull release yet, you have to break your grip with your shooting hand to manipulate it, but it is very simple to use.

The good - The mag release is much easier to grab then the factory one and it is very smooth

The bad - The slave pin being too big was a huge annoyance. And despite the ease of tapping the trigger housing, I feel like they could have came up with a better solution for that, like a pin with a flat head to hold it along the outside edge of the trigger housing

Attachments

• 1022MagRelease (5).jpg
      1022MagRelease (5).jpg
      47.9 KB · Views: 135
    • 1022MagRelease.jpg
      1022MagRelease.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 143

Gaius Baltar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 7, 2010
    nice job. a few mistakes here and there are good. especially if you catch what is going on, and can correct them. that is how we learn.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    nice job. a few mistakes here and there are good. especially if you catch what is going on, and can correct them. that is how we learn.

Yep, I know that trigger group inside and out now lol. Guns are easy to work on though. They are actually pretty simple machines considering the forces they contain.

Like last week I taught a buddy how to field strip his AR. After I was done demonstrating he said Wait that's all there is to it? Lol

I'll take a gun over the transfer case sitting on my garage floor any day lol

Gaius Baltar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 7, 2010
    i'm the opposite, and needed a manual. before youtube, i would take a firearm apart, and it would take me forever to get it back together.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    ...And I thought I understood, until it came time for reassembly....
    I wailed on a good and hard with my rubber tipped hammer and got nothing... So I pulled everything back apart.
    .....with the help of a flashlight..... I got it all together.
    ...the bolt hold open won't release. Sonofabitch... So I take it apart again... ....but now I can't take out the BHO because of the set screw being loctited in place.....

After that everything went together nice and easy and everything is working great :party29:

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

I am glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup:
    It looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom