Recommend a side plate and mount for AK74 Tantal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I want to put a red dot sight on my AK74 Polish Tantal, but I need a side mount in order to use one. I'm looking for recommendations on good side plate and side mount.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    Kalinka has some nice stuff. with a side rail you may have issues with taking the side mount off due to where the rear strap loop is,may get in the way. You always have an Ultimak. There is a company out there making top mounts, rear sit comes off, the front of it goes there,and the rear locks in same as your dust cover. Just a thought.

http://texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    The side mount is so I can attach a rail above the receiver.

and you're not thinking a Tantal's ergonomics all the way through.

unless it wasn't built properly, and doesn't have the left-side safety. if it does, though, a side rail won't fit. the selector is in the way.

there are other options to affix a mount above the receiver, which don't involve grinding and drilling existing rivets, then installing new ones.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    and you're not thinking a Tantal's ergonomics all the way through.

unless it wasn't built properly, and doesn't have the left-side safety. if it does, though, a side rail won't fit. the selector is in the way.

there are other options to affix a mount above the receiver, which don't involve grinding and drilling existing rivets, then installing new ones.

I believe there are some side mounts that don't interfere with the Tantal's safety. That's one of the reasons for my original post. I'm trying to find out which ones. I know Kalinka has a side mount that can be attached with some filing to the mount. At least that's what Kalinka told me.

If you know there are some other options how about sharing them?

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    armed ferret said:
    Not really. The average forum user would have tried this relatively obscure site before posting. ;)

I'm trying to keep it slow-pitch, but if I go any softer the balls will be made of cotton.

Perhaps my original post wasn't clear. I've been to most of these sites and seen what's available before I started the thread. I want more feedback from people who have actually used these mounts. Finding the stuff is easy. Recommendations from people you trust is another matter. Every manufacture will try and get you to believe his stuff is best.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    source for originals has been posted. (hint: that means they're made in poland, for polish rifles. tantals are polish, aren't they? i forget)

i suppose if a fella wanted the best without a lot of internet chit-chat, the original would probably be an ideal unit to pick up.

but then, i'm just some guy with no experience in such matters, so take it for whatever you wish.

happy hunting.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    armed ferret said:
    source for originals has been posted. (hint: that means they're made in poland, for polish rifles. tantals are polish, aren't they? i forget)

i suppose if a fella wanted the best without a lot of internet chit-chat, the original would probably be an ideal unit to pick up.

but then, i'm just some guy with no experience in such matters, so take it for whatever you wish.

happy hunting.

Never said I wanted the best. Just recommendations. Thank you for yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom