• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    The most important aspects are RF and Spotting. Don't need the Ballistics Calcs, but would appreciate BT integration with a Kestral. I don't hunt so I don't expect to need to use the glass for extended periods.

I have looked at a lot of options and right now am leaning towards Sig Kilo 3000 BDX. I can get them for $780. It is not great glass, but the binos give me some spotting ability and the RF seems to be top quality. What I am finding is that if you go for glass, then you give up RF and vice-versa. Hunters want the glass so they can looking for game. PRS want the RF over the glass.

I believe that buying these binos and connecting them to Kestral 5700 Elite will give me a mediocre spotting solution, a great RF and a full Ballistics solution.

Thoughts?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The most important aspects are RF and Spotting. Don't need the Ballistics Calcs, but would appreciate BT integration with a Kestral. I don't hunt so I don't expect to need to use the glass for extended periods.

I have looked at a lot of options and right now am leaning towards Sig Kilo 3000 BDX. I can get them for $780. It is not great glass, but the binos give me some spotting ability and the RF seems to be top quality. What I am finding is that if you go for glass, then you give up RF and vice-versa. Hunters want the glass so they can looking for game. PRS want the RF over the glass.

I believe that buying these binos and connecting them to Kestral 5700 Elite will give me a mediocre spotting solution, a great RF and a full Ballistics solution.

Thoughts?

I’ve got the 3000 BDX and a 20x80 spotting scope. The Sig binoculars are more than good enough to see a deer at 2000yds in good light. The glass while not top tier is pretty good. You can use them to spot hits on steel targets to 500 yds. 500-700 you can see the plate move and may be able to see actual impacts with larger caliber. 700-1000 you’ll see the plate move but thats about it. They are only 10x magnification.

The rangefinder works really well. I have a smaller sig rangefinder that was pretty good but having the rangefinder built into the binoculars makes ranging a lot easier. I have not really played with the Kestrel link yet, just because I haven’t had chance to really use them in conjunction with the kestrel for firing solutions, but I will the next time I’m at Peacemaker.

The other thing I have not tried yet is using the range finder to plot way points to my BaseMap phone app.

PM me if you want to check them out. My friend is borrowing them but I’ll have them back sometime around Christmas when we get together. So maybe after the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I’ve got the 3000 BDX and a 20x80 spotting scope. The Sig binoculars are more than good enough to see a deer at 2000yds in good light. The glass while not top tier is pretty good. You can use them to spot hits on steel targets to 500 yds. 500-700 you can see the plate move and may be able to see actual impacts with larger caliber. 700-1000 you’ll see the plate move but thats about it. They are only 10x magnification.

The rangefinder works really well. I have a smaller sig rangefinder that was pretty good but having the rangefinder built into the binoculars makes ranging a lot easier. I have not really played with the Kestrel link yet, just because I haven’t had chance to really use them in conjunction with the kestrel for firing solutions, but I will the next time I’m at Peacemaker.

The other thing I have not tried yet is using the range finder to plot way points to my BaseMap phone app.

PM me if you want to check them out. My friend is borrowing them but I’ll have them back sometime around Christmas when we get together. So maybe after the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a bunch for the response. I was worried about being able to spot long distances with the binos. What spotting scope do you have and realistically how far out you go with it?

Thanks a lot.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    If on a budget just look around for things that are a previous gen and on clearance.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    AB or should I say GJ - here's my recommendation for long range fun (which I think is what you're getting at).. I have all and am willing to share or spend an afternoon showing you the what's and why's.

I strongly recommend a Kestrel 5700 Elite. I was totally against until I saw one on a sale and purchased. That is your ballistics solver. Next you'll want a range finder. I personally picked up several including a Vortex Fury AB - but you just need a range finder. Distance is key for long distance. After that, you really don't need anything else but a good scope. Put your Spotting Scope money into your scope where you can see your own shots. My shooting partner and I have several but honestly, we sit behind each others scope and watch each others shots.

Outside of those, you need a chrono... You need to understand velocity. Whether that means reloads or factory ammo - you need to understand velocity, BC, wind, drop (and probably several others) for decent long range shots... One trip to Peacemaker on the Frontier range and you'll understand. I was supposed to go Saturday but my handloads were not quite where I wanted.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks a bunch for the response. I was worried about being able to spot long distances with the binos. What spotting scope do you have and realistically how far out you go with it?

Thanks a lot.

I've got a Burris Signature HD. It's pretty good. I can see impacts from 5.56 on paper at 300 yds and on steel out to 600yds. Using a bigger round like .260 or .308 I can easily see impacts on steel plates to 1200 yds.

Here is a link to another thread where I included some photos of various things I've spotted 400 yds out to and including including container ships 38,000 yards away! Check it out. https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/burris-signature-hd-20-60x85.231045/#post-6878049

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    For the money and warranty you can’t go wrong with Vortex. As much as I’d like to be a Swarovski fan boy they are priced out of my league.

Yeah I'm struggling with that too. I've been reading up on Athlon. They have the same warranty as Vortex and are quite comparable across the board.

Right now am thinking

Vortex Optics Razor HD 4000 Laser Rangefinder $400
    Athlon OpticsCronus G2 20-60x86 UHD Spotting Scope $1000

However, that is a lot more money than I wanted to spend and still leaves me with no chronograph.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    First, are you shooting on a range with targets at set distances, or on a range where the distances are not confirmed? Second, what is your budget?

Personally, I prefer having my range finder separate from my binos. I prefer that bc I really don't use it as much as I use my binos. I also find that if you are at a range with other people and you want to range something, someone will loan you a rangefinder or tell you the distance. Also, if the rangefinder breaks, it's only the one unit and not your full setup.

Having the kestrel integration is nice esp for hunts and sniper matches, but if you are just shooting at a range or doing a PRS style match, there's plenty of time to punch it into your ballistic calculator. If you are tight on budget, I wouldn't worry about it.

More people are switching to binos to spot as the field of view is better and there is a thing as too much magnification. I tried a set of 18x binos and it was too much. I know a bunch of people who are using the vortex recon bc it has a reticle in it which is helpful for calling corrections. Somewhere in the 10 to 15 power is best imo.

Personally I have a pair of tract binos at 15x magnification and a maven RF1 rangefinder. The field forest settings are nice for range finding.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Just remember, everyone loves vortex's warranty because they had to use it.

Nothing worse than equipment failing in the middle of a match or hunt.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

True. However vortex has never given me the least problem with a warranty issue and their service is FAST.

Zero Compromise is even more expensive and I personally know several people who have had to use their warranty. I can't speak to personal experience as I don't own one.

I only own three Swaro products and haven't had to use their warranty yet but it's been reported by others that it's relatively smooth.

My one experience with Zeiss warranty caused me to immediately sell most of my Zeiss optics (three went bye bye immediately) ASAP.

I could go on, but the short version is that every man made mechanical object will eventually break if you use or abuse it enough.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

I've never used the Vortex warranty. I don't beat up my equipment either. I probably am more careful with my stuff than with a baby. Babies are surprisingly resilient. The bluing on my rifles not so much.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I use a Sig Kilo 1000 and a Bushnell legend 15-45 x 60mm. They aren't too expensive and do the job. At high magnification without a stable base for the spotting scope it's hard to see the target, but if I use a heavy base on a solid bench it's a lot better.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    AB or should I say GJ - here's my recommendation for long range fun (which I think is what you're getting at).. I have all and am willing to share or spend an afternoon showing you the what's and why's.

I strongly recommend a Kestrel 5700 Elite. I was totally against until I saw one on a sale and purchased. That is your ballistics solver. Next you'll want a range finder. I personally picked up several including a Vortex Fury AB - but you just need a range finder. Distance is key for long distance. After that, you really don't need anything else but a good scope. Put your Spotting Scope money into your scope where you can see your own shots. My shooting partner and I have several but honestly, we sit behind each others scope and watch each others shots.

Outside of those, you need a chrono... You need to understand velocity. Whether that means reloads or factory ammo - you need to understand velocity, BC, wind, drop (and probably several others) for decent long range shots... One trip to Peacemaker on the Frontier range and you'll understand. I was supposed to go Saturday but my handloads were not quite where I wanted.

Lots to digest. Thanks for the offer to go with - may take you up on that.

Based the advice from you and others I bought a Kestrel 5700 Elite.
    I also decided to buy a RF separately and went with Vortex Razor 4000 HD. It seems to be the best bang for the buck. I bought the demo from eurooptics and applied a 10% coupon. Got it for $374 + tax shipped.

For good or bad, I already have my scope. I think it will be a little weak, but it is what I have.

As for the Chrono, the market is in a lot of turmoil right now with the Andiscan and the BulletSeeker. I am probably going to wait it out a bit and see what happens with them. They are way too expensive right now, but competition is good. With that said I was reading a lot on the Labradar and the Oehler35P. It would have been a tough choice between those two so happy to wait a little longer.

Last edited:

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    First, are you shooting on a range with targets at set distances, or on a range where the distances are not confirmed? Second, what is your budget?

Personally, I prefer having my range finder separate from my binos. I prefer that bc I really don't use it as much as I use my binos. I also find that if you are at a range with other people and you want to range something, someone will loan you a rangefinder or tell you the distance. Also, if the rangefinder breaks, it's only the one unit and not your full setup.

Having the kestrel integration is nice esp for hunts and sniper matches, but if you are just shooting at a range or doing a PRS style match, there's plenty of time to punch it into your ballistic calculator. If you are tight on budget, I wouldn't worry about it.

More people are switching to binos to spot as the field of view is better and there is a thing as too much magnification. I tried a set of 18x binos and it was too much. I know a bunch of people who are using the vortex recon bc it has a reticle in it which is helpful for calling corrections. Somewhere in the 10 to 15 power is best imo.

Personally I have a pair of tract binos at 15x magnification and a maven RF1 rangefinder. The field forest settings are nice for range finding.

Thanks for the info. The only long range shooting range I have been to is Peacemaker. It has targets spread out all over at various distances.

I decided to buy a dedicated RF. I did this for a few reasons:

1) It was the most pressing need.
    2) Every combined product I looked at seemed to have a deficiency somewhere. The closest product I found was Sig Kilo 3000BDX. I found it for ~$800. I decided against it because Sig's warranty sucks and the binos are suspect especially out to 1000 yards.
    3) It allows me to take my time for the binos or the spotting scope. If I can find a used model, I can save a lot of money.

For binos, I have been looking at Meopta MeoStar B1 Plus 15x56 HD Binocular. They are way too expensive new so trying to find a pair used.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Could you get a cheap chrono for the meantime? I have a Caldwell that works pretty well. The reviews aren't great but it works for me and doesn't take up a lot of room. I think most of the bad reviews come from people not using it correctly. Sun can be an issue since it uses optical sensors. I bought a cable that hooks up to my phone and a Caldwell app that calculates SDs and things like that. You can add photos of your groups to your string and save the data for later. This was very useful when I was trying to pick .22 ammo for a PRS event. I went with the ammo that had the lowest SD while maintaining .25MOA. I tried 10 kinds from Tenex to Eley Force doing 10 shot strings.

I paired the Caldwell app with the IStrelok app for estimating dope without creating an actual dope card. It's been pretty much dead on out to 700yds. Sadly my Kestrel died so I haven't been calculating for wind, temp, and pressure. Doesn't seem to matter too much.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Thanks for the info. The only long range shooting range I have been to is Peacemaker. It has targets spread out all over at various distances.

I decided to buy a dedicated RF....

For binos, I have been looking at Meopta MeoStar B1 Plus 15x56 HD Binocular. They are way too expensive new so trying to find a pair used.
    Take a look at the maven RF1 for the rangefinder. In that price point, I don't know if you can beat it easily.

Those are nice binos. I would stalk snipershide px section and see if you can find them on sale. Also, cameralandny does sales on meopta regularly. I would also keep an eye on sales for tract and maven (maven typically doesn't do sales on their B5 binos, but they are awesome and in the same price range). The tract that I have are nice and when on sale are fantastic for the money. If you want to look through them pm me.

The downside to high power optics is that you'll want to get a tripod and a head as well to hold it steady. That'll run you 300 to 1500 more depending on what you get. Just something to budget for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom