• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    I need to get a collection of around 40 guns appraised. There are a few C&R guns, but nothing rare or exotic. Most are modern firearms, and I just need a written estimate of secondary market value from someone I can call an "expert." Any suggestions?

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    My suggestion is be your own expert. Find several examples of each gun you have on the internet, i.e. GunBroker, GunAuction, Guns International, Guns America, and see what each sells for, then determine a reasonable value. It's somewhat time consuming, but will be the most accurate. Auctions that start at one dollar with no reserve will be your best reference. No one person will give you an accurate assessment. Any professional appraisal is going to be low with the hope of buying your firearms in order to make a profit. This is just the nature of the beast. Appraisals by friends or people on forums is going to be what they think it is worth, not necessarily what it is selling for. I personally don't believe some of these guns are worth what people are paying, like some of the used Colt and S&W revolvers. But the market is what it is. Good luck.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    they would have to be seen.
    are you looking for someone in your area?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Tread carefully. In my experience, a lot of self-titled gun appraisers are buyers/collectors who make a habit of low-balling the appraisal just before making an offer. Others heavily oversell their supposed expertise and therefore their ability to accurately gauge the gun's true market value. Be prepared to waste time and money.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I get the impression the OP is more looking for a piece of paper from a third party for insurence or estate purposes , than a serious market value for each.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Either way, you want a true value.

The Blue Book of Gun Values is a good start. And with pictures to document condition.

My suggestion is be your own expert. Find several examples of each gun you have on the internet, i.e. GunBroker, GunAuction, Guns International, Guns America, and see what each sells for, then determine a reasonable value. It's somewhat time consuming, but will be the most accurate. Auctions that start at one dollar with no reserve will be your best reference. No one person will give you an accurate assessment. Any professional appraisal is going to be low with the hope of buying your firearms in order to make a profit. This is just the nature of the beast. Appraisals by friends or people on forums is going to be what they think it is worth, not necessarily what it is selling for. I personally don't believe some of these guns are worth what people are paying, like some of the used Colt and S&W revolvers. But the market is what it is. Good luck.

Tread carefully. In my experience, a lot of self-titled gun appraisers are buyers/collectors who make a habit of low-balling the appraisal just before making an offer. Others heavily oversell their supposed expertise and therefore their ability to accurately gauge the gun's true market value. Be prepared to waste time and money.

:thumbsup:
    Friend of mine got screwed (like .25 on the dollar) for high end rare stuff when his father passed because he didn't know.

thumbert

Mar 23, 2015
    SOMD
    That's exactly what I'm looking for, And I don't mind if they're low-ball estimates. That would actually serve my purpose.

Call Nova Firearms and speak to JB or Eric. Think I overhead someone come in for that the other day when I was there.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    One idea is to contact an arms collector's club such as Potomac Arms Collectors Association or Maryland Arms Collectors, who run the Baltimore show. Appraisers usually take a fee for service, such as 3-5% of the appraised value. And of course they can give you value based on what a dealer would pay, rather than what it might go for at auction. This can be useful if you need it for estate purposes, etc. Sometimes a collection needs to be appraised by an executor, because the beneficiaries want their cut in cash for their share of the collection. Had to do that awhile ago to get complete control of my father's gun collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom