• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm seating using a 21st century hydro press. To be honest I'm not sure I notice a difference either lol. I would say if you are having inconsistent brass prep, the hydro press will show it. If your brass prep is good, you likely won't see a difference.

I have 3 batches of 75 rounds of brass, it has allowed me to sort/group them all with in a few psi of seating pressure. Id argue at best it saves me 1 unexplainable 9. More likely it just gives me more confidence that my loads are right and I missed a condition change.
    I run a short handle on a conventional press for seating. I know if I diddled one up by force feedback and it gets the bullet marked with sharpie. For giggles I fired groups with reds (harder seating) and blacks (softer seating) as well as those that felt normal. All shot to within a tenth inch of group size at 100 and the only notable velocity excursion was a a drop off of 15fps with the blacks. Given that load normally shoots in the 8-14 range for es, that's statistically significant. Two standard deviations from "normal" average.

One thing that cut a lot of my issues was when I started neck turning just about all of my "good" ammo. Where available, I use the Forster bushing neck bump dies. The 308 is still jumping but the 6br has been jammed since that first load test with "the load" of varget and I have only played with anything but benchmark a couple times in multiple barrels.

Side note, I went by Harrens the other night. I haven't seen him in a while. I REALLY would love to have him give a seminar on reloading and bullet making for the membership here. The guy is a walking computer full of experience and accumulated knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom