• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BusDriver

Livin the hillbilly dream
    Feb 28, 2007
    The Hill Country
    Reloading for the AR

I more of a novice reloader . I have been reloading for my .270 and .44 mag so I know the basics . Now I have a AR10 & AR15 . I bought a set of small base dies But haven't tried it yet . I've read some articles about the pros and cons about loading for the AR type rifles . Anybody have some expericence with this ?

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Well, if you want to know the cons, you can go to the Fulton Armory website and read their FAQs on the subject. http://www.fulton-armory.com/

I don't agree with everything they say since I've reloaded for 3 different military auto loaders, not an AR but one with the direct-impingment type gas system. Autoloaders are less forgiving of mistakes however than other actions.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The biggest reason I've had to not load for my ARs was the low cost of blasting ammo, and my low accuracy expectations shooting iron-sighted M4geries. For any kind of real accuracy, handloads, or factory match ammo, will be needed.

I'd suggest not letting concerns over the semi-auto action stop you if you want to load them yourself. EVERYONE shooting hi-power and service rifle is loading their own, and they are large volume shooters too.

I have loaded plenty of .223 AR ammo (and .308 M1A ammo) with no problems. If the brass came from your rifle, and you're not using hot loads, even using small base dies is not absolutely required. Watch your primer pockets (maintain a good tight fit), always full-length size your brass, keep it clean, and I'd expect no troubles.:)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    E. Shell, good to see you stopping by. We look forward to picking your brain over all sorts of subject matter.

For those that don't know E. Shell, he's quite the precision rifle guy from what I recall.

BusDriver

Livin the hillbilly dream
    Feb 28, 2007
    The Hill Country
    The biggest reason I've had to not load for my ARs was the low cost of blasting ammo, and my low accuracy expectations shooting iron-sighted M4geries. For any kind of real accuracy, handloads, or factory match ammo, will be needed.

I'd suggest not letting concerns over the semi-auto action stop you if you want to load them yourself. EVERYONE shooting hi-power and service rifle is loading their own, and they are large volume shooters too.

I have loaded plenty of .223 AR ammo (and .308 M1A ammo) with no problems. If the brass came from your rifle, and you're not using hot loads, even using small base dies is not absolutely required. Watch your primer pockets (maintain a good tight fit), always full-length size your brass, keep it clean, and I'd expect no troubles.:)

Thanks . I'll give it a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom