• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I am gathering the needed components to start loading 9mm. In the past I didn't think it would be cost effective to load 9mm but have changed my mind after building an AR SBR.

So far this rifle has eaten anything I have used in it. For the most part I have used Blazer Brass and Remington 115 grain FMJ ammunition. While full metal jacket would be ideal to use all the time I want to save money where I can. Has anyone used Bayou Bullets or Montana Gold Bullets?

The Bayou Bullets are cheaper and wold be ideal for my new range toy if they hold up to the semi-auto action. Montana Golds aren't as cheap but I know they will hold up and they are cheaper than FMJ bullets.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you are going to suppress it (an why wouldn't you, unless you are a commie) you will want subs. It is much cheaper to reload subs, I have found.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If you are going to suppress it (an why wouldn't you, unless you are a commie) you will want subs. It is much cheaper to reload subs, I have found.

This^^^

Subsonic 9mm costs at least. 30/rd to buy. You can reload it for less than half that. Even if you have to buy the brass.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I like to use 147 gr JHP in my J&R M68 carbine. It's built like a brick shot house. In 1968 guns an ammo filled a 9mm packed with bullseye 115 gr bullet and pushed it at 2000 fps. I push the 147 gr around 1300 fps using accurate #7. That insures expansion of that bullet and a slow push down the 16 inch barrel. I keep them separate only for my M68's. I have three the ladder an M80 with a scoped rail. I'm not saying you do this but usually you can safely push pistol rounds faster in a well built firearm. Thompson Contenders as an example. The barrels on mine are at least as thick as an AR. Maybe thicker.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    I use xtreme bullets in my supressed 9mm ar. It's cheaper than berry's and works fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

I already have the form 1 in the pipeline:D

One of the many reasons that I just spent $300+ for the parts to set up my Dillon 650 XL to load 9mm enmass.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I use Precision Delta 147gr RN FMJ combined with Titegroup for loading subs. They're cheaper than Montana Gold and are true FMJ's.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I don't do subs because I only use mine for competition, where I need it to shoot fast and flat. And with kill zones out to as much as 500 yards from the dwelling, 9mm does not make sense for a rifle used for HD either.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I don't do subs because I only use mine for competition, where I need it to shoot fast and flat. And with kill zones out to as much as 500 yards from the dwelling, 9mm does not make sense for a rifle used for HD either.

Ya, I will never live up to your standards.:sarcasm:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Okaaaay. However if potential deffensive distances are home were say 75-100yd ( I'm projecting, but figure my situation is way longer than typical anyway) , then 115-124gr using slow powders to maximize long bbl vels would have meaningful improvement of mid range trajectory over subsonics.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

You shoot stuff out to 500 yards with a 9mm?

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I made my can part of the barrel to avoid a 2nd stamp, 16.125" OAL with the end cap removed.

I have shot more plated 147's through it than anything else but also use my Hi-tek coated cast bullets and have some JHP loads that are quite accurate.

The right bullet will make quite a difference.

Like going from this 10 shot 100 yard group where they all didn't even get on paper.

IMG_20160218_180607_646-1_zpsuqkjqrbf.jpg

To this 10 shot 100 yard group.

IMG_20160218_133157_052-1_zpssykfmqoa.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom