• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    you can buy peel and stick vinyl tiles for under a buck a square foot if you just want to cover the concrete. you will have to buy a moisture barrier primer product to paint onto the floor before you stick them down.

they also make vinyl planks that "click" together like laminate wood flooring. its a floating floor, no adhesive (I suppose it makes it fully water proof as well). I believe that product is available starting about a buck a square foot. you cut them with a utility knife and go to town.

It's not bad stuff but it's a lot more than $2.50 a foot. As for water proof, if you get water under it(as with a flood) the water will become trapped beneath it and grow mold and or mildew which would be no bueno.

enya60h

Dec 10, 2011
    reloading flooring

They make a rubber flooring comes on 12x12 that interlock can send you pix have had in my reloading ares for years ,easy to clean up and is do it yourself and no static

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    My reloading room had a cement floor, the rest of the basement had a combination of carpet and cheap wood laminating flooring before the clothes washer died on the fill cycle. I had the whole basement recarpeted and salvaged a big rectangle of undamaged old carpet to place under the reloading bench but on top of the new carpet.

It is Berber carpet, multiple colors and a heavy weave texture. Nice to stand on but very hard to find primers. Since powder discolors the inside of powder measures, I assume it does the same to carpets so I vacuum if I have spillage. I have not exploded yet. I dump the shop vac frequently.

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    Thanks for all the input. I'm still torn between carpet and vinyl. I am thinking about going with vinyl planks like someone else mentioned. It would be nice to have that space to do other projects as well.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I've never had a large spill, but do know that powder residue can accumulate over time. Carpet could mask its presence. Also, a vacuum cleaner can't get all the powder residue out of the carpet.

Had a buddy tell me about an indoor range fire a few years ago, started when a prone shooter ignited unburned powder residue (on a concrete floor) following a large group's carbine rifle qual. Moral of the story, don't reload on concrete!;)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have the stick together vinyl floor in my basement. It looks pretty good, is very durable, and was really easy to put down. Cut around corners with tin shears.

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    I'm redoing an office in my finished basement to be my "gun room", which will eventually have reloading supplies. For now, just a safe, bookshelves for ammo and a counter top for cleaning my toys. There is currently carpet over a 1970s orange tile floor, I'm ripping out the carpet this weekend and putting down the peel-and-stick vinyl "wood" flooring. I like the quick clean ability and since it's a multiple purpose room, I feel it'll give it a more classy look. The wooden bookshelves are stained dark and the safe has the Liberty gloss black finish.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    If I had a choice, I would go with wood or vinyl so that spilled powder could be swept up rather than vacuumed. That said, my reloading area has Berber carpet and it works for me.

Earlier today my wife heard me swearing when I spilled about 60 primers. She quickly said nothing works better to pick them up than a lint roller (she's used to finding spent primers on the floor here and there). I gave that a try and it worked beautifully!

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    If I had a choice, I would go with wood or vinyl so that spilled powder could be swept up rather than vacuumed. That said, my reloading area has Berber carpet and it works for me.

Earlier today my wife heard me swearing when I spilled about 60 primers. She quickly said nothing works better to pick them up than a lint roller (she's used to finding spent primers on the floor here and there). I gave that a try and it worked beautifully!

Nice idea on the lint roller. I will have to remember that one. Thanks.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I am skeptical that a vacuum is going to ignite gun powder, especially in the relatively small quantities that we're talking about.

Might Google dust explosion or grain silo (elevator) explosions, you don't really need gun powder to do harm.

The photo that pops up when one of my friends gives me a call is a photo of part of the impeller from his vacuum that blew up on him. I would be more worried about primers myself but I use a pneumatic vacuum when needed and a dust mop on the wood floor.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I agree, it's not like you're running the powder between the brush and the armature in the motor, I've vacuumed up spills several times.

I never had a problem vacuuming spilled powder but I did set off a primer once. It made me jump a bit. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom