• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I've made space in my detached garage for reloading. During winter, the space will be cold and humidity may be very low at times. How big of a concern is static discharge when handling primers and powder?

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Never once worried about either. Primers require a strike. Powder, I prefer not to touch with my bare hands anyway.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I started wearing mechanics gloves when reloading. It helps cut down on tarnishing my brass and keeps my hands clean when I’m doing case prep. You’ll never have static discharge through gloves.

I also keep my reloading/gun room at 35% humidity year round.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    A used dryer sheet will cut the static. Wipe down your equipment prior to use and it won’t be an issue.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I want to hear more about this. How will friction set off a primer? What is the scenario here?
    Primers are subject to whats known as dusting. Dusting is a result of the manufacturing process. Primer pellets are designed to detonate, not burn. Dusting and control measures surrounding manufacture of primers is very controlled and often closely guarded for the methods used to manufacture them safely.
    Just like TNT, the compounds used to manufacture the pellets will detonate by friction.
    They are explosive. And friction will detonate explosive compounds.
    Period.
    A good scenario is wind up with a primer sideways in its battery cup. Pry it out with a sharp tool like an awl, dental pick or whatever.
    If the anvil has been dislodged and the conditions are right.
    You-ll be the first one to know it I guarantee it.
    Thats why, de-capping live primers is on an order of epic stupidity.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My Dad's reloading setup was in the garage attached to the house by a breezeway. He had a natural gas heater in it that he'd only turn on on the winter when he was going to be out in his workshop for a bit.

This was in SW rural Nebraska, and when I was a kid Nebraska was pretty dry - static electricity was always a thing in winter where you'd get shocked touching a doorknob after walking across carpet.

To my knowledge, static in his reloading endeavors was never an issue.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    While it is highly unlikely that low humidity and colder temps will pose a hazard with your your primers and powder, static buildup can be an issue with electronic powder measuring balances and can contribute to excessive zero drift. Static spray for laundry and sheets are useful for this.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    While it is highly unlikely that low humidity and colder temps will pose a hazard with your your primers and powder, static buildup can be an issue with electronic powder measuring balances and can contribute to excessive zero drift. Static spray for laundry and sheets are useful for this.
    :thumbsup:

I didn't think that cold temperatures would cause a primer or powder to ignite, it's that I may be using heat sources that may excessively dry out the air. One reason I asked the question is because I saw a video a couple of years back where a guy was loading primers into the strip in his press. Something ignited the entire strip and then the rest of the tray in his hand. The video didn't list the cause. I was wondering if it was a static discharge.

Sounds like nitrile gloves and a dryer sheet will add the necessary level of safety. Besides, the lead and powder are toxic so nitrile gloves are a good idea anyway.

Oh- Any heat source I use will be at least 8 feet away. Right now I have a couple of electric oil filled radiators but I may add propane or a pellet stove to the garage.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I've never heard of static from fluorescent lights?
    Electrical "noise" yes.

The phenomenon has to do with the discharge of the static electricity and the resultant RF that is emitted when the arc breaks. the RF emitted from the spark excites the gases inside of the bulb which causes the phosphors to glow. think of the static discharge spark as a teeny tiny lightning bolt.
    you can see a similar reaction from the bulb if you were to bring it near a plasma bulb or another source of high frequency electricity like an ignition coil.
    Its also the first thing you learn when you change incandescent light bulbs on a radio tower if your not firmly grounded to the structure.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    OP, if you are using a portable heater in the garage , such as a K1 heater, put a metal pan of water on top or in front of it. Even an open container of water like a fish tank by itself will raise the humidity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom