• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I did my first reloads, 30-30 , with the Lee Classic loader. I liked it so much I went and got a press the next day.
    They are still available in a variety of calibers. Rather primitive, but they do work well.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...&utm_term=16761280181930926286110080302008005
    My first reloading was also with a Lee Classic loader for 30-30. I started when I was about 15 so I could shoot my Marlin 336 more. I used that for several years as well as one for 38 special. I finally broke down and bought a Lyman turret press a couple years later when I bought my S&W 29. I haven't shot many factory cartridges in any of those calibers in over 40 years!

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Dad gave me a MEC 650 back in the 80's (birthday/xmas. Hell I can't remember which) that he bought from a guy at the firehouse. I was probably 16 or 17 at the time. The only instruction was "Snuffy says you need #209 primers, Green Dot Powder, AA wads and #8 shot. You should be able to figure out the rest." To be completely honest, I have never weighed the powder charge that thing throws. It has the original non adjustable powder/shot bar. Still have it, still works.
    I vaguely remember being a little iffy on pulling the trigger on that first shell. After that, LETS GO!!
    Now I have multiple presses to load damn near everything.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Dad gave me a MEC 650 back in the 80's (birthday/xmas. Hell I can't remember which) that he bought from a guy at the firehouse. I was probably 16 or 17 at the time. The only instruction was "Snuffy says you need #209 primers, Green Dot Powder, AA wads and #8 shot. You should be able to figure out the rest." To be completely honest, I have never weighed the powder charge that thing throws. It has the original non adjustable powder/shot bar. Still have it, still works.
    I vaguely remember being a little iffy on pulling the trigger on that first shell. After that, LETS GO!!
    Now I have multiple presses to load damn near everything.
    This post just reminded me - the first reloads I ever made were not the ones I referenced in my earlier post. My first reloads were 20 gauge shells done on a MEC Sizemaster, although to be fair, Dad is the one who set up the press and then turned me loose. I don't remember shooting them specifically, although I know I did.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I started loading 22-250 in search of the tightest groups possible in my then new Tikka MSP. It took me a few weeks but eventually I beat the factory V-max loads I was buying. I don’t remember being particularly nervous, but I must had read the directions 10X before I started and went very slow double and triple checking everything along the way.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Between my Father and other shooting mentors , Reloading wasn't a scary or mysterious thing .

I remember my first batch ( and the load thereof ) , but the particular first round fired didn't stand out .

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Metallic or shotgun? Reloaded shotshells in my parents basement when I was young and stupid using "Lee Loader" and dippers.

Learned to load metallic cartridges and I loaded some 7.5x55 Swiss using fired PPU cartridges that were damned hard to find at the time. I was pissed that I dented a few using the RCBS lube pad. That started me on my quest to replace pretty much all in my RCBS reloading kit except the Rockchucker. Never did use the primer tubes, I bought a hand primer right off the bat.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    My reloading venture started from a CL ad for a old 3 hole turret press with everything I needed to reload 9mm except for the projectiles. I immediately grabbed a 250 ct. box of berrys 124 gn HP and loaded my first ladder tests.

Using the data from the hodgon reloading site, I realized I was loading FMJ load parameters instead of plated/cast. On top of that, I was putting a way heavier crimp than usual (realized this when I pulled some rounds to check). I also quickly learned that federal SPP's flatten alot easier and I was getting false overpressure readings the whole time.

Despite the drawbacks, I was very happy with my first reloads. They went bang, and even the most inaccurate ladder loads were on par with the winchester factory white box I was comparing it with. Shooting from a bench from 10 yds, I was able to get 5 shots touching groups. From that moment, I knew I was set to jump in deeper in the rabbit hole that is reloading.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...Reloaded shotshells in my parents basement when I was young and stupid using "Lee Loader" and dippers...
    My best friend's father bought him a 12 gauge Lee Loader in the summer of 1971 and taught us both to reload our dove loads. By August that year, I had my own. We were confident both because his father had supervised our first sessions and because we too were too young and stupid to be afraid of anything. Our first firing of our own reloads was without concern and we fully expected them to shoot just like factory ammo, which they did.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My best friend's father bought him a 12 gauge Lee Loader in the summer of 1971 and taught us both to reload our dove loads. By August that year, I had my own. We were confident both because his father had supervised our first sessions and because we too were too young and stupid to be afraid of anything. Our first firing of our own reloads was without concern and we fully expected them to shoot just like factory ammo, which they did.
    Some brands of shells were next to impossible to close using the Lee Loader and would later open and leave you with a pocket full of shot. The best were the paper shells and we'd cull the trap and skeet range for those.

MTplinker

Dec 30, 2021
    Annapolis
    Hmm, yeah .45 ACP. It screamed “most economical” vs buying factory back in 2016 just after the craziness of 2013. Hadn’t any experience and nobody to tap, so I read a lot then figured I’d try.

Went with simple straight walled cartridge, a low-ish pressure round. 200 gr RN from X-treme. I think I read that the original .45 ACP was designed for a 200 gr bullet, so I figured why bother w 230 gr just to punch paper? Picked an old fashioned powder- W231. Kinda middle of the road powder, a classic - no need to hot rod it w W296.

The most memorable thing was using Lee bullet seating die. I struggled for an hour or two and scratched my head trying to figure out why the seating adjustment wouldn’t make the slug seat deeper to get the COAL right. I’d dialed it all the way and still the bullet wouldn’t seat. I’m a little nervous, a little frustrated having never done this before. Did I do something wrong? At some point I figured out I could take the die apart, and surprise Lee didn’t include a seating stem inside the die when it left the factory!? What the Hell?

Well, after Lee made good, I finished the batch just fine. Lacking a .45, I think I convinced my brother to let me shoot the start load in his fancy HK during a range visit. The thing’s a tank anyway. First round- click. Damn. Didn’t engender him with much confidence in my newfound skill. My mind raced to wondering if my oily fingers had contaminated the primers when priming with the Lee press? I recall examining it, rechambering it and it went bang on the next try. Other rounds went bang, so declare victory!

That episode prompted me to go get an RCBS hand primer, which has been a gem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom