• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Guys,

Looking for an amazing gunsmith that could chamber/headspace/install a barrel on a Rem 700 action. Blueprinting the action would also be needed. Getting into some PRS. All recommendations welcome!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Drew Walters at WAR Rifles in manassas Park

Ed "doc" harren, harrens custom rifles in ijamsville

Matt ilko, rogue machine Fairfield PA

I own work from the first two and have shot multiple rifles that Matt has built. All do great work.

TBH, I would not suggest sinking the money into a 700. I've owned nine of them. All some level of custom from light to full retard. I will never do another one. Not worth the trouble with the proliferation of custom actions that require zero screwing around. That's before you even consider resale value. My Warlord from Drew (variance marked defiance deviant action) is a hammer. Doc has done work on 700s and Tikkas for me and all of them shot when he was done. I'll never realize the money i spent on the work but i knew that going in. I have done my own work on a defiance and a zermatt. Add in a defiance that Phoenix custom rifles did up and I'll never buy another factory action.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    " "doc" harren, harrens custom rifles in ijamsville"!!!
    TBH, I would not suggest sinking the money into a 700. I've owned nine of them. All some level of custom from light to full retard. I will never do another one. Not worth the trouble with the proliferation of custom actions that require zero screwing around. That's before you even consider resale value. My Warlord from Drew (variance marked defiance deviant action) is a hammer. Doc has done work on 700s and Tikkas for me and all of them shot when he was done. I'll never realize the money i spent on the work but i knew that going in. I have done my own work on a defiance and a zermatt. Add in a defiance that Phoenix custom rifles did up and I'll never buy another factory action.

Doc is the man. He has rebarreled three rifles for me...
    If your heart is set on a Rem 700! Otherwise buy a custom action.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Doc is the man. He has rebarreled three rifles for me...
    If your heart is set on a Rem 700! Otherwise buy a custom action.
    Doc does impeccable metalwork. Of the three best grouping rifles I have, he did one, drew at WAR did one, I did the other. To be truthful, doc had to work the hardest as the one he did was a Krieger barrel in a T3 action. It has eyes.

For the uninitiated, doc shot his records and wins with actions he worked over and barreled himself. I believe most were with his own bullets, too. The man knows more about rifles and handloading than I ever will.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Scott’s Gunsmithing in Glen Burnie did mine with a Shilen stainless prefit and cerakote. Came out real nice. Wait times can be an issue tho.

IMG_0849.jpeg
    IMG_0853.jpeg

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Drew Walters at WAR Rifles in manassas Park

Ed "doc" harren, harrens custom rifles in ijamsville

Matt ilko, rogue machine Fairfield PA

I own work from the first two and have shot multiple rifles that Matt has built. All do great work.

War Rifles in Manassas is who I used but then again, he’s only 30 min from me.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    But Doc Ed is maybe a 15 minute drive from the OPs house and as others have said he's great.

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    Old thread but I don't see an update so this might still be relevant. I've had satisfactory results from John at Duffy's multiple times.

I second what @4g64loser has said about the advisability of sinking money into a 700 vs going with a custom or even a Tikka. I believe you'd be much better off selling your current 700 and putting the money into a custom action. I couldn't be happier with the rifles I've built on American Rifle Company actions and, IMO, their Coup de Gras action is one of the best deals out there.

You will never get your money back, or have the convenience of ordering shouldered prefits, from a worked over 700. Once you factor in blueprinting, a larger bolt knob, possibly extractor upgrades, an aftermarket scope base...you're over what a new custom action would run you and you will have none of the resale or trade value.

My thoughts.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Old thread but I don't see an update so this might still be relevant. I've had satisfactory results from John at Duffy's multiple times.

I second what @4g64loser has said about the advisability of sinking money into a 700 vs going with a custom or even a Tikka. I believe you'd be much better off selling your current 700 and putting the money into a custom action. I couldn't be happier with the rifles I've built on American Rifle Company actions and, IMO, their Coup de Gras action is one of the best deals out there.

You will never get your money back, or have the convenience of ordering shouldered prefits, from a worked over 700. Once you factor in blueprinting, a larger bolt knob, possibly extractor upgrades, an aftermarket scope base...you're over what a new custom action would run you and you will have none of the resale or trade value.

My thoughts.
    Hard facts.

And Ted at ARC is a mad.genius. I like zermatt and.they seem easier for most people to work with but I do own ARC too and love their stuff. Their rings are hands down the best on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom