• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Nephew bought a used 7600 in a FTF sale and it is causing problems with deforming the point of soft tip Federal ammo. Did a complete strip down, clean & lube and reassembly. It cycles smoother and doesn't scratch up the casings (I think the last owner had the chamber cover in wrong putting pressure on the bolt on ejection) but it is still deforming the tips.

14322555_10210857379219356_846705092565083089_n.jpg

14433174_10210857379259357_4532759388588943722_n.jpg

I found a post on another forum where a guy was having a similar problem and fixed it just by switching to a polymer tip bullet.

Suggestions? Comments? Horror stories?

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Upon closer inspection, I may have answered my own question. There is no feed ramp to speak of and there is quite a severe angle when the bullet hits the bevel at the chamber entrance. I don't think the extended soft tip can take that severe of an angle and is deforming upon impact.

Maybe a switch to a copper solid or performance tip will work?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Take a photo of the feed area of the chamber so we can see what you are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    You have a magazine that has the feed lips out of whack. The cartridge should be popping up high enough when you are closing the bolt that it is lined up with the chamber way better than what is happening. You should not be getting any bullet damage at all...if the rifle/magazine is right you could shoot soft lead cast bullets out of it and not have any bullet damage.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's not particularly deformed, and may well shoot within your needs/ expectations.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    my rem 750 dings up the soft point ammo the same way. It still shots fine for me. I'm not shooting anything farther than 200 yards. I have great expansion on deer regardless of the deformed tip. If it is a big concern I would try ballistic tip ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom