• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    I have been reading about using different barrells to shoot steel, cheap ammo thru your hand guns and rifles. Does anyone know where I can get these at reasonable p[rices and if I can get for my 1911's, Ruger P345 35 acp, FNAR & Ruger Mini 14?

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I have been reading about using different barrells to shoot steel, cheap ammo thru your hand guns and rifles. Does anyone know where I can get these at reasonable prices and if I can get for my 1911's, Ruger P345 35 acp, FNAR & Ruger Mini 14?

I'd venture that most firearms have interchangeable barrels (as they wear out). My Wather P22 has a "target" barrel kit (it's longer) - heck, there's even foam cut-outs in the case to accommodate such a change. Some firearms (e.g, my father's Sig 9mm) has kits to change out the caliber (iirc, to .45ACP in that case).

I am unable to speak to your particular firearms, but usually the manufacturer will advertise such a thing if they sell it. If not, I'd search for conversion kits.

Aside: "breaking in a barrel" is a pile of pseudoscience - only thing, IMNSHO, you would need to do after a barrel swap is sight it in.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And with rifles, changing the barrel is not that easy.

Mini 14, barrel change is major work.

1911s are pretty easy, but the barrels should be fitted by a gunsmith or someone who knows that they are doing first.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    And with rifles, changing the barrel is not that easy.

Mini 14, barrel change is major work.

1911s are pretty easy, but the barrels should be fitted by a gunsmith or someone who knows that they are doing first.

Aye. I should have been more clear. Pistol barrels are often trivial swaps. Rifle barrels are more work.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm just guessing , but I think the OP was thinking of aftermarket bbls w/ conventional rifling so as to be able to shoot lead bullets , as opposed to polygonal bbls. This is primarily a Glock thing. Several mfgz , Lone Wolf probably the largest one who specializes in this.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    To be frank I wouldnt worry to much about a barrel, Ive shot 10's of thousands of rounds of steel case and other stuff through guns without any noticable loss of accuracy.

Is there wear, yes, but it is small. Bigger issues are usually things like extractors, recoil springs, sears, etc.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm just guessing , but I think the OP was thinking of aftermarket bbls w/ conventional rifling so as to be able to shoot lead bullets , as opposed to polygonal bbls. This is primarily a Glock thing. Several mfgz , Lone Wolf probably the largest one who specializes in this.

using different barrells to shoot steel, cheap ammo

Uh, no he wasn't

Mowog

Dec 1, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    Steel cased ammo is usually military (as far as I've seen- 9mm handgun and 5.56 and 7.62) and usually eastern european/russian. I just did a search and found some TulAmmo and Wolf in 45- so its out there.

I have bought replacement barrels for my sigs (226,239) to get threaded barrels. Available online through many sellers. Both of mine required a very slight adjustment, as the replacements must be on the high side of the spec range. I bought sig barrels, but there are barstow,storm lake, lone wolf among others.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom