• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    Bought a M1 bayonet at the HoCo Gun Show last month. Just got around to cleaning it and tried to put in on my M1903-A3...the open loop attachment is slightly misshapen at the top of the circle and won't fit over the barrel. The shape is only off slightly...I couldn't really tell until I looked at it very closely.

What would be the best method to round it back out?

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    You might be able to use a vice carefully with wood so you don't scratch the metal.
    Or you can also use fine sandpaper on the inside of the loop but this will harm the collector value, you can use instant bluing to darken the sandpapered area.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    See if it will work on someone else's rifle, and then sell it to them. At least with my M1 Garands and their bayonets, the fit between the muzzle and the ring is looser compared to 03's I've seen.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Unless the steel is pretty soft, I think you're likely to break it if you try squeezing it in a vice. Besides,you'd be more likely to make it worse, not better.

If it's just a little bit out, you night be able to open it with a round file. I've had to file a bit on a couple of socket bayonets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom