• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chriskat

Nov 1, 2009
    I was looking at a friends the other day and noticed a groove around the cylinder about where the firing pin will strike the case rim. This particular one was manufactured on 1958, does that groove make it safe to dry fire?

Katsoup

Avtomat Kalashnikova
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2023
    Maryland
    Yes. If its the revolver i am thinking of.

Ruger-Old-Model-Single-Six-3-Screw-22-LR-4-5-8inch_101281343_63636_899D40230B935A25.JPG

Katsoup

Avtomat Kalashnikova
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2023
    Maryland
    Older guns in general, and older rimfires in particular should not be dryfired unless there's information from the manufacturer stating otherwise.

Modern guns will generally provide information about dryfiring in the manual--if no information is provided it's almost always safe to assume that you can dryfire it. Manufacturers don't want to have to work on guns for free so if there are things they worry will break the gun, they're usually not shy about telling you so.

Keep in mind that just because a gun can be dryfired safely doesn't mean that it will never, ever, ever, break from dryfiring. After all, guns eventually break from normal use and in many ways, dryfiring duplicates normal use.

Bad for the gun or not, I picked these up so I wouldn’t have to worry about it. https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Snap-C...gateway&sr=8-1up

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The groove indicates that it is a .22lr cylinder. Cylinders for the .22mag did not have the groove. Neither were caliber marked back then. I have a flawless NIB 1958 in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom