• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I've seen that before. Is it possible that someone might have shot that out 9mm round out of a .40 caliber?

I've seen .32 auto Federal cartridge fired from a 9mm pistol without the case splitting. Seen a .40 cartridge fired from a .45 pistol with case split and the forward 3/4 of it swelled to the dimensions of the .45 chamber.

please check other brass from that brand you have. In my experience most factory ammo has brass colored primers. I'm thinking you found a to many times reloaded case. Or, it was a bad case, wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

Just checked some of my personal stash of factory 9mm Federal American Eagle cartridges and spent casings from various lots over the years and all have the brass colored primers.

Just out of S&G's, I checked a box of Federal American Eagle .45 and those cartridges have the silver colored primers (though .45 is not the issue of discussion in this thread).

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    maybe the bullet was seated wrong (deeper than it should be ) = over pressured.

OP, was the specific cartridge in question chambered more than once??? If so, it may have created a "bullet setback" which will produce higher pressures. I've seen this on many occasions regardless of cartridge manufacturer or handload.

If at all possible (apparently you can with previous pics in this thread) post some pics of the ammo box (good closeup of complete front top, exterior end flaps, complete back, and lot number). Thanks

I know, it's called milti quote.

Last edited:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    FWIW, I shoot a lot of mixed headstamp 9mm range brass. While sorting/inspecting, I come across cases like that now and then. Most have been Federal. I suspect it's due to brittle brass. If you reload any 9mm case enough, they'll eventually crack down the side. That looks defective though.

Carlfer

Apr 6, 2012
    Frederick County
    OP, was the specific cartridge in question chambered more than once??? If so, it may have created a "bullet setback" which will produce higher pressures. I've seen this on many occasions regardless of cartridge manufacturer or handload.

If at all possible (apparently you can with previous pics in this thread) post some pics of the ammo box (good closeup of complete front top, exterior end flaps, complete back, and lot number). Thanks

I know, it's called milti quote.

As for rechambering setback, it's hard to say as we didn't notice the rupture until days later. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343343441.771839.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343343468.754174.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343343529.563174.jpg

Here's the rest of them. No other defects noted. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343343589.594244.jpg

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    So that 147 grain is "flat point". Do you have more of that particular ammo? If so, please post a pic(s) of a loaded cartridge with emphasis placed on the bullet. I know I'm being a pain in the ass, but wonder how big (diameter) this flat point is. Just so any of you smartasses out there want to live up to your name, I know the bullet diameter is .355 to .356, I wanna' see how large the flat section is in relation to the above diameter.

Sounds like you're unsure if a given cartridge has been or not been chambered more than once. It could be possible that ruptured case, while it was still in it's virgin cartridge state, had suffered bullet setback from being, or attempted being chambered more than once thus causing overpressure and subsequent rupture.

I've seen bullet setback in a multitude of calibers, handgun and rifle both. Usually this will occur with multiple successful chamberings of a given cartridge, factory or handloads. In one instance two or three years ago, I witnessed bullet setback in factory cartridges that were loaded in the mag of an M-16 (full auto capability) before being chambered. The '16 (department gun) was having jamming problems after the first few rounds were fired and upon dropping the mag and inspecting the remaining ammo loaded in the mag, about half of the cartridges had suffered mild to severe bullet setback. The ammo was a highline police load be it Federal or Hornady TAP, forget which. It was apparent the bullet crimp had been ultra mild to almost nonexistant.

If you ever have to clear a jam (failure to feed properly-partial chambering and not going into full battery), remove that cartridge from service and compare it to a fresh cartridge to see if there is any visible setback. If so, DON'T shoot it.

I'm also wondering if the "flat" portion of the "flat point" may have something to do with it as the cartridge will be more suseptical to jamming with setback with that big "flat point".

Last edited:

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    A cracked casing can't blow up a gun. It's not the brass that contains the pressure--it's the chamber. Casings crack. You may get some excessive gasses and burning powder blown back back through the breach during extraction, but that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom