• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Getting the itch for a new rifle. I’ve been looking at the ultra lite 110. Anyone have one? If so, how Ya like it? Primary use would be deer in WV mountains. Secondary it would be for a western hunt as a rifle for longer hikes. The group I hunt with in WV are planning another trip to Idaho for 2025. I have a 300 win mag that would be the primary rifle if we are watching clear cuts with decent access. The 300 weighs in near 10 pounds, dont want to lug it for any long distances. If I go with the 110, I’m up in the air on caliber. Either a 30-06 or 280AI.
    The more I research the 280 Ackley Improved, the more I like it’s versatility. The big drawback is availability of ammo.
    I’m thinking on that rifle, either caliber, I’d probably go with a vx-3 Leupold in the 4.5-14x40 as it is under 14 ounces to keep the ultralite, well actually lightweight.

Last edited:

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I have the 30-06
    I think it’s a very good rifle. You are welcome to try it.
    Thanks. What ammo does it shoot well? Any issues with cycling rounds?
    I‘m trying to think of pros and cons to the 06 over the Ackley.
    Pros - ammo easily available, powerful enough for all of North American hunting,
    already have plenty of 30-06 ammo. So I wouldn’t need to stock up on a caliber that I don’t have.
    Cons - have three 30-06 now. That’s why I have plenty of ammo. :cool:
    Although none of them come in under 6 pounds.

I have a 110 chambered in 350 Legend for MD hunting, a Savage 22mag, and had a 220 shotgun. My general thoughts on Savage is that they shoot well, but it seems that Savage cheaps out on some aspects. Plastic/poly components instead of bottom metal, and the magazines seem kind of cheesy.
    I had some cycling issues with the 220 on occasion.
    I do like the accufit stock, and the fact that the trigger is adjustable though.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I haven’t had any feed issues. I bought it when I drew a Maine moose tag. I bow hunt but my health at that time warranted a backup plan. Because of the intended target I checked out a few boxes of 180 grain. This ammo works very well at the range to 300yards. I never had a chance to see it work on a moose.
    IMG_9735.jpeg

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I just have the standard Savage 10 with a hard wood stock in 308. Not an ultra light but it is pretty light and has a nice kick to it. I put a LimbSaver pad on it and it's now a pleasure to shoot.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    That is a nice rifle and I was considering that until I found a nice Ruger American Ranch.
    I am thinking the Ruger American Ranch Gen II designed rifle to compete head-to-head with Savage. I have a couple gen I's and with a Timney trigger, they are excellent. Both the Ruger American and Savage 110 have good triggers, but not excellent triggers, IMHO.

CZ_Jockey

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2024
    owings mills, md
    I am thinking the Ruger American Ranch Gen II designed rifle to compete head-to-head with Savage. I have a couple gen I's and with a Timney trigger, they are excellent. Both the Ruger American and Savage 110 have good triggers, but not excellent triggers, IMHO.
    Copy all! Thanks for the intel

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Ordered a 110 Ultralite today. Except, not in the calibers mentioned above. The 280AI, the more I factored in ammo cost and availability, the more I was moving away from that. Cabela’s has the 110UL marked down right now, and this weekend additional 10% off using their CC. I was going to get a 30-06, but they are out of stock. Ended up going with a 270 Winchester. With the 10%, the rifle priced at $989.00. I’m sitting on about $1300 in Cabela’s bucks, I decided to use that to pay for it. So this one is a freebie!

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    So, in my original post I wanted a 280AI, and was going to top it with a vx3 4.5-14.
    That changed a bit. Went with a 270, and I put a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 on it. I had the Vortex in the closet after taking it off of another rifle a while back. Picked up some Talley lightweight alloy mounts. Found them on EBay, brand new for $20.00 with free shipping:bannana:
    Got to the range today. This looks like a keeper! Barrel break in and Sighted in with some old 270 PMC 150 grain ammo I had.
    I think I’m going to like this rifle. On the left target, top right, two holes. The top hole was a hole from another range trip. The hole just below it was me shooting at that old hole.

IMG_0049.jpeg

After I was satisfied with that, I tried some Herters 130 grain. Never shot Herters out of a rifle, and after a few shots today, it doesn’t look like I’ll be trying it anymore. Shot five shots at the center of the target pictured below. Then 3 shots at the upper left square. Initial thoughts, not impressed. I made no changes to the scope while trying this ammo out. Targets were side by side, barrel swabbed out and cool between strings of shots. On the center of the target, the two that were close to each other were shot 1 and shot 5. Shots 2,3,4 were all below them.
    IMG_0050.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom