• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dcofire92

Jan 7, 2023
    Maryland
    Does anyone have experience navigating the NFA in regards to the B&T TP9? The two avenues I’m considering in lieu of OAL restrictions are:

1. SBR - I read somewhere the TP9 is ~20” with the stock. Permanently P&W the 8” proprietary suppressor, then add a pad to the buttstock or similar modification to squeeze out the remaining length to reach 29”.

2. AOW - Would be stuck with a brace instead of a stock (brace-rule notwithstanding). Can still add the VFG, and would not need to P&W the suppressor as is <26”.

Any issues with the above or other options available?

Thanks

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    If you pin and the weld that suppressor on, is it an SBR anymore?

I've gone through similar contortions. The question I come back to is what makes something part of the gun that counts towards its length for Maryland law? If I duct taped a stick to the side of the gun?

So, the suppressor needs to be pinned and welded on, which is as far as I know from Fed stuff about barrel length
    however
    A butt pad can be held on by a couple of screws and that counts toward the length? Stocks can be removed with zero tools in seconds. Do those things count towards the length of the firearm? Would a flashlight hanging of the end?

I question whether you really need to pin and weld to make Maryland happy. I don't think Maryland (MSP or whoever) knows either. If there's case law or anything about this, I'd love to see it.

Where I ended up to get to 29" for an SBR was to get a super long cheap picatinny riser. Replace the attachment hardware (usually a knurled press fit) with stainless screws and nuts, and spot weld the nuts to the screws to make it more or less permanent.

I don't really have any answers for you. I just question what's actually required as is written in the law.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    If you pin and the weld that suppressor on, is it an SBR anymore?

I've gone through similar contortions. The question I come back to is what makes something part of the gun that counts towards its length for Maryland law? If I duct taped a stick to the side of the gun?

So, the suppressor needs to be pinned and welded on, which is as far as I know from Fed stuff about barrel length
    however
    A butt pad can be held on by a couple of screws and that counts toward the length? Stocks can be removed with zero tools in seconds. Do those things count towards the length of the firearm? Would a flashlight hanging of the end?

I question whether you really need to pin and weld to make Maryland happy. I don't think Maryland (MSP or whoever) knows either. If there's case law or anything about this, I'd love to see it.

Where I ended up to get to 29" for an SBR was to get a super long cheap picatinny riser. Replace the attachment hardware (usually a knurled press fit) with stainless screws and nuts, and spot weld the nuts to the screws to make it more or less permanent.

I don't really have any answers for you. I just question what's actually required as is written in the law.
    The issue is more or less the MD side. yes but pads and adapters can be considered for over all length. Duct taping a pillow to the back of rifle probably would not fly but most rifles now days you can remove stocks in time flat. I think a good majority is a "wink and smile" compliance

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom