• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'm trying to find a decent helmet for my NV binos I really had no idea how many options are out there. My plan is really to only use this for some night hog hunting, but having a decent product that serves some of my prepper goals too is a bonus. I would like to stay below $300, but would pay a little more if it was really worth it and checked off more boxes.

I'm finding a lot of knockoff helmets that are Level IIIA rated for under $300. Like Compass Armor brand. The downside is it seems heavy, like 4lbs. I don't need anything ballistic rated, but if it's a decent helmet in my budget range, then maybe it's not a bad option.

This Team Wendy EXFIL is not ballistic rated but only weighs 1.6lbs and seems like it get great ratings. However, it's $100 more than the Compass one linked above.

Then on the other extreme, there are non-ballistic helmets made for AirSoft for less than $75 like this one. Maybe they are OK for the occational 1-2 times of year usage case.

I guess the main features I am looking for are comfort, (lower weight and better padding) as well as decent quality. Also, I see that there seem to be several types of mounting rail systems, but they may be interchangeable. The team Wendy helmets don't seem to have as many rail slots from what I can see.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these headgear types, and if so, could you provide some recommendations?

Much appreciated.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I went through this same exercise recently after I bought some binos (RNVG).

If you think someone's gonna shoot at you, buy ballistic. Otherwise, save your spine and buy a bump. I'm not an expert on hog hunting, but my understanding is that they don't shoot back. If you ever change your mind about it later and decide you need ballistic, you can either reuse your accessories or just have a second helmet for when you want to go lighter. I started with a bump and don't regret it.

You should also mentally budget another hundred bucks for new pads, because the pads that come with the helmets suck so bad. 4D pads made a huge difference in comfort for me.

Personally, I would not cheap out on the helmet/mount/NV chain. That helmet shroud and mount are supporting ~$5k of night vision, you do NOT want them to fail. Buy a Team Wendy or an Ops Core. I found my Ops Core bump for $300 new, and I know there are a lot of good used deals on helmets, too.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I went through this same exercise recently after I bought some binos (RNVG).

If you think someone's gonna shoot at you, buy ballistic. Otherwise, save your spine and buy a bump. I'm not an expert on hog hunting, but my understanding is that they don't shoot back. If you ever change your mind about it later and decide you need ballistic, you can either reuse your accessories or just have a second helmet for when you want to go lighter. I started with a bump and don't regret it.

You should also mentally budget another hundred bucks for new pads, because the pads that come with the helmets suck so bad. 4D pads made a huge difference in comfort for me.

Personally, I would not cheap out on the helmet/mount/NV chain. That helmet shroud and mount are supporting ~$5k of night vision, you do NOT want them to fail. Buy a Team Wendy or an Ops Core. I found my Ops Core bump for $300 new, and I know there are a lot of good used deals on helmets, too.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I am sort of convincing myself to go for the Team Wendy Bump. Are you also saying to upgrade the pads in them as well? Is 4D the brand or type of pad?

Also when you use your NV did you get an external battery pack? It seems that some recommend getting an external pack on the back of the helmet to balance the weight of the binos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Also when you use your NV did you get an external battery pack? It seems that some recommend getting an external pack on the back of the helmet to balance the weight of the binos.

Using an Ops Core bump, pvs bino and rhino mount. I find that if I'm moving I don't notice it as much but as soon as I go stationary I wish I had a counterweight or battery back to balance it out. Chin strap and rear band definitely need to be snug and +1 on good foam. If using it everyday I'm sure the neck muscles would adapt but being taller I'm already predisposed to looking down and this feels like it pulls in that direction harder than I like.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thank you for the detailed reply. I am sort of convincing myself to go for the Team Wendy Bump. Are you also saying to upgrade the pads in them as well? Is 4D the brand or type of pad?
    4D pads: https://tnvc.com/shop/4d-tactical-zero-g-deluxe-retrofit-combat-liner/

I have no idea if they'll fit Team Wendy, but they are basically a necessity on the Ops Core helmets. Plus side, they are insanely comfortable.

I thought about it, but they're very expensive, and cheaper counter-weights seem to work fine. I'm not using my NV for anything yet where swapping batteries is a big problem. I used this Mohawk knock-off and it seems to work acceptably well: Amazon product ASIN B07ZF7B3RR
    Keep in mind that I run Ops Core arms for my ear pro, so those have a weight that is biased towards the back of the helmet, too. All this supporting gear you start accumulating on your helmet will eventually tamp down the need to have a big counterweight on the back.

Last edited:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I've used everything from bike/skate helmets, to real surplus high cut Kevlar.

The airsoft bump helmet you linked to on amazon will work just fine as a platform. The pads amd suspension are direct copies of the opscore, and you wouldnt be able to tell the difference side by side.
    Spend the money you saved on a beacon, and good ear pro

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    4D pads: https://tnvc.com/shop/4d-tactical-zero-g-deluxe-retrofit-combat-liner/

I have no idea if they'll fit Team Wendy, but they are basically a necessity on the Ops Core helmets. Plus side, they are insanely comfortable.

I thought about it, but they're very expensive, and cheaper counter-weights seem to work fine. I'm not using my NV for anything yet where swapping batteries is a big problem. I used this Mohawk knock-off and it seems to work acceptably well: Amazon product ASIN B07ZF7B3RR
    Keep in mind that I run Ops Core arms for my ear pro, so those have a weight that is biased towards the back of the helmet, too. All this supporting gear you start accumulating on your helmet will eventually tamp down the need to have a big counterweight on the back.

So I went with the UHMWPE Level III, I himmed and hawed and somehow talked myself into thinking it would be fine for hunting, and also serve some perverse prepper itch. I just arrived today and I quickly tried it out.

HUGE mistake.

It’s made well and the padding is fine, but it’s so freaking heavy, and when I add the NOGS it’s way worse. I’m really regretting the dumb decision. Now I’m going to buy the BUMP helmet anyway.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So I went with the UHMWPE Level III, I himmed and hawed and somehow talked myself into thinking it would be fine for hunting, and also serve some perverse prepper itch. I just arrived today and I quickly tried it out.

HUGE mistake.

It’s made well and the padding is fine, but it’s so freaking heavy, and when I add the NOGS it’s way worse. I’m really regretting the dumb decision. Now I’m going to buy the BUMP helmet anyway.
    Yeah, I find the bump with 4D pads to be tremendously comfortable. I don't have any neck issues or anything after wearing it for a couple hours with RNVGs hanging off it. Plus side, you'll get most of your money back on the ballistic helmet if you sell it on the secondary market.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I’ve got a Danish PGD ARCH (ballistic), which is an Aramid high cut and kind of heavy for a ballistic helmet these days. The shroud and rails also seem airsoft grade with the shroud mounting screws requiring huge holes. I wouldn’t recommend it, but I’m determined to make use of what I’ve got before offloading. I hike regularly with it and a 14 on an AX14 and G24, including the entirety of Old Rag Mountain wearing it, and the weight doesn’t bother me.

How heavy are your duals? Something like the PVS-31 or BNVD-SG UL is barely heavier than a standard 14 with J arm.

The Team Wendy bump helmet is the go to for many. Their harness system is hard to beat, but their pads aren’t that great, so replacing with 4D or D3O pads is a worthy upgrade.

Many are happy with the PTS licensed airsoft copy of the MTEK Flux helmet. I haven’t tried one myself though.

I’ve actually got a $50 airsoft copy of an Ops Core bump that was a $30 Amazon return that I have solely for my loaner 14. I need to stick some tire weights to it, because people complain about how unbalanced it is. I’ve seen people take those cheap shells and upgrade them with better airsoft harnesses and pads.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ve got a Danish PGD ARCH (ballistic), which is an Aramid high cut and kind of heavy for a ballistic helmet these days. The shroud and rails also seem airsoft grade with the shroud mounting screws requiring huge holes. I wouldn’t recommend it, but I’m determined to make use of what I’ve got before offloading. I hike regularly with it and a 14 on an AX14 and G24, including the entirety of Old Rag Mountain wearing it, and the weight doesn’t bother me.

How heavy are your duals? Something like the PVS-31 or BNVD-SG UL is barely heavier than a standard 14 with J arm.

The Team Wendy bump helmet is the go to for many. Their harness system is hard to beat, but their pads aren’t that great, so replacing with 4D or D3O pads is a worthy upgrade.

Many are happy with the PTS licensed airsoft copy of the MTEK Flux helmet. I haven’t tried one myself though.

I’ve actually got a $50 airsoft copy of an Ops Core bump that was a $30 Amazon return that I have solely for my loaner 14. I need to stick some tire weights to it, because people complain about how unbalanced it is. I’ve seen people take those cheap shells and upgrade them with better airsoft harnesses and pads.
    I remember reading that thread when you posted it. That was cool.
    As for my goggles, they are a bit heavier than PVS-31's I think they are around 25oz. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the BUMP yet, but, I think it just seems like the retention system on the TW is the way to go.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I remember reading that thread when you posted it. That was cool.
    As for my goggles, they are a bit heavier than PVS-31's I think they are around 25oz. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the BUMP yet, but, I think it just seems like the retention system on the TW is the way to go.
    That’s definitely the weight where you’ll want a bump helmet or maybe a super fancy ballistic like a Galvion Caiman.

One of my friends has a Caiman with his DTNVS and Ops Core AMP NMFI and said it feels too light and needs counterweights. He said if he were to do it again, he’d go for one of the high end super light Ops Cores.

Another friend has dual PVS-14s on a FMA Panobridge with knockoff Tarsier Eclipses, so not light at all. He is fine with the weight on his TW bump or Ops Core FAST SF though. I’ve tried dual 14s on my non weighted PGD and that got old fast.

Send Help

MDS Supporter
    May 11, 2023
    Wicomico
    It's already been harped on this thread but the importance of a balanced helmet is crazy if you care about your neck. I've had bumps and ballistics in a couple of capacities and before I knew what I was doing, my neck and spine were paying the price. I'm currently running PVS-15s on a FAST SF and yeah, these high-cut type helmets now have like 80 different ways to cinch it down to your noggin but a good counterweight is key regardless, even for the lightest NVG units unlike my big chonk 15s.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's already been harped on this thread but the importance of a balanced helmet is crazy if you care about your neck. I've had bumps and ballistics in a couple of capacities and before I knew what I was doing, my neck and spine were paying the price. I'm currently running PVS-15s on a FAST SF and yeah, these high-cut type helmets now have like 80 different ways to cinch it down to your noggin but a good counterweight is key regardless, even for the lightest NVG units unlike my big chonk 15s.
    It's funny how even something as minor as where your ear-pro arms are located can make a very substantial difference in balance.

Send Help

MDS Supporter
    May 11, 2023
    Wicomico
    It's funny how even something as minor as where your ear-pro arms are located can make a very substantial difference in balance.
    Yeah man it's wild. There's definitely a difference in the 3m ARC adapter placement to the OpsCore adapters on the back of the bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom