• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    My Uncle has one and asked me for my recommendations for a scope for his Mini 14.
    His interest is increased magnification. I would think 1-4/1-6 LPVO or a 2-7 would fit the bill. BDC reticle or similar. Price range; IDK, on the inexpensive side but not junk. Vortex or Leupold, maybe SWFA.

I'm not familiar with Mini 14 but after taking a look at his rifle, has grooves in the receiver for rings, a scope made no sense to me due to the ejection pattern; SA cases banging up on the scope.

Upon reflection I thought it appropriate to put it out to MDS to get more feedback:
    To scope or not to scope?
    If scope, what's the recommended set up?

TIA

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    If Hanibal Smith didn’t need a scope on his Mini 14, nobody needs one! LOL.
    E7831EA6-466A-46EE-8B97-BC30046A8874.jpeg

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I have one of the 580 series that is my go to varmint gun. I put a Redfield (made by Leupold) Revolution Accurange 3x9x40 on it , over the years I have killed a couple dozen foxes with it.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    GG&G had a picatinny rail attachment for the Ranch Rifle. You can put a shop scope on that. I didn’t install it yet, but envision a red dot of some kind.

One needs to figure out the intended use and if it has the ability to shoot good groups. 4-6 power would be great for close in.

Last edited:

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    GG&G had a picatinny rail attachment for the Ranch Rifle. You can put a shop on that. I didn’t install it yet, but envision a red dot of some kind.

One needs to figure out the intended use and if it has the ability to shoot good groups. 4-6 power would be great for close in.
    Use is for varmints at probably < 200 yards.
    I thought about red dots but my Uncle wants magnification; if he can't see the varmint with irons, a red dot won't help.

If it was me I'd go bolt action or AR but he has the Mini 14 and likes that.

I'll check out that pic rail website.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I thought about red dots but my Uncle wants magnification; if he can't see the varmint with irons, a red dot won't help.

I have a 3x9 32mm scope on mine. It's lived on there for years and never got the benefit of a proper mounting and trying to figure out the best accuracy. See if you can help your Uncle ascertain the ability of the rifle to group well enough to expect the performance a scope can bring to it. It's great to see what your shooting at of course but the groups might not be tight and disappointment may reign.

IMG_1229[1].JPG

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

Another option is a scout scope. I also wanted an optic with magnification on mine and tried a few different options before settling on the scout configuration. Swapped out the factory handrail for an Ultimak scout rail and topped it off with a Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire II scout scope.

Mini4Scout.jpg

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I have a 3x9 32mm scope on mine. It's lived on there for years and never got the benefit of a proper mounting and trying to figure out the best accuracy. See if you can help your Uncle ascertain the ability of the rifle to group well enough to expect the performance a scope can bring to it. It's great to see what your shooting at of course but the groups might not be tight and disappointment may reign.

View attachment 411774
    Good idea.
    Range time with his ammo! IIRC they are 223 not .556; at least for the older one's.

Your scope looks high to me and those maybe factory rings to allow for ejection, but IDK.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Good idea.
    Range time with his ammo! IIRC they are 223 not .556; at least for the older one's.

Your scope looks high to me and those maybe factory rings to allow for ejection, but IDK.
    Yup, factory rings that came with the rifle, made for the receiver mounting points. That’s where a scope goes when using them, height-wise. The Mini-14 is a small rifle so justs look like a bigger rifle with a high mount. Lol

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    What mount/ring set up do you have?
    Any issues w/POA shift due to spent brass?
    It's been so long ago I can't remember what rings I used. I have had no problems with the scope holding zero. The newer mini 14's eject off to the side, waaaay off to the side, where the older ones - to my understanding - would eject more or less straight up.

Attachments

• 20230430_205742.jpg
      20230430_205742.jpg
      171.4 KB · Views: 64

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    It's been so long ago I can't remember what rings I used. I have had no problems with the scope holding zero. The newer mini 14's eject off to the side, waaaay off to the side, where the older ones - to my understanding - would eject more or less straight up.
    IDK how to get a good cheek weld with a high scope and a relatively low top of butt stock. But WTF do I know.

I gotta think more about all of this.

Peace

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    Another option is a scout scope. I also wanted an optic with magnification on mine and tried a few different options before settling on the scout configuration. Swapped out the factory handrail for an Ultimak scout rail and topped it off with a Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire II scout scope.

View attachment 411795

What is this stock? I like it and wonder if it would fit a 195-xxxxxx series? Actually, the whole setup looks tight. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    A lot of 1-4s and 1-6s out there. Vortex Strike Eagle is decent. I've shot out at 200 and have not had issuse on an AR, Mini-14 may be an issue with the ejection pattern, but the Picatinny rail may help keep the scope from getting hit.

Q

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

View attachment 411795
    I like the scout option. It's made for this gun.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018

View attachment 411795
    That looks great bro. I've always liked that look on a mini. Well done sir. I gotta get around to getting a mini 30 with that mount. Always wanted one then the prices got stupid

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom