• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mendicant

Aug 11, 2015
    Baltimore/Silver Spring
    Good day.

I have a Mossberg 695 12 gauge that I would like to install some kind of optics onto. The two items that I have immediately available in my inventory are a 4x32 with no apparent make, and a Tasco 3-9X40. Will either of those be likely to survive, or should I be looking for something else?

Thank you,
    Mendicant

rob b

c@r collecting
    I have the same gun with a leupold shotgun/muzzleloader scope 3-9x40
    It is scary accurate even out to 150 yards

The scope has held up thru 6 years of hunting with no issues
    I would use the 3-9 tasco unless you want better optics

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I had a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on my Savage 220.

Hook up the 4X and head to the range and see how it does. I have a couple "throw-aways" that have come off of other guns I have put better optics on and save for friends or testing.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Have a 1.5X5 Leupold on my 870 with Hastings rifled barrel. Had that combination for at least 20 years. Shots to the same place year after year. Cheap scopes will shoot apart under that kind of recoil.

Good luck

Jerry

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ghost ring sights? I prefer anything that is a 100-150yd maximum using iron sights. I can manage 3" accuracy at 100yds with ghost rings and about 5" at 150 with the same. 50yds about 1" (front bead starts obscuring a 10" target a lot out around 150yds). I have ghost ring on my 870 with 28" mod choke barrel. With federal truball (I realize you are probably shooting sabot and rifled barrel) I can manage 6" at 100, but I think that is more the limit of accuracy of the slugs, not the sights (the 3" at 100yds is with my muzzleloader using ghost ring sights and .44 sabot XTPs in it).

The ghost rings also work well for small game and trap shooting (sorry, I have a hard time using a shotgun properly, I am a rifleman at heart)

But I'd go with 1.5-4x if I was going to be using something that is 150yds or less.

Of course I say that while looking to put a 3-9x40 on my .308 which may never see a shot on a deer past 150yds in Maryland ever. But at least if I did have a shot on one, it is certainly capable of 300+ yds

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I put a 2-7x32mm Nikon ProStaff scope on a Remington 870 w/fully rifled cantilever barrel.

Very accurate. My son has taken deer at 133 yards with this set-up.

I put a 2x Leupold handgun scope on a Hastings 26" "Heavy" fully rifled slug barrel. (No cantilever, which I regret not getting.)
    It's held up for over 20 years. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

fowlwhacker

Apr 7, 2013
    Check out the Nikon slug hunter 3x9x40 BDC. I put a one on each of my daughters slug guns and have been very happy with them. Reasonable price and decent quality. Lifetime warranty as well which is nice versus buying a cheaper scope which may not handle the load of slugs which is what I have found. I have also have had a leoupold 3x9x40 vxII on another slug gun for years and have never had an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom