• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Many of the red pad Ruger #1's had great wood, my #1 Varmint in .223 has really nice wood.

IMG_8179.jpeg
    IMG_8178.jpeg

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    My didn't look pretty, but my favorite since I shoot it a lot and it groups well. Liked it so much I bought another one

Attachments

• 20160318_151353.jpg
      20160318_151353.jpg
      170.8 KB · Views: 67
    • 20151217_201047-1.jpg
      20151217_201047-1.jpg
      149.4 KB · Views: 63
    • 20181104_162629.jpg
      20181104_162629.jpg
      490.8 KB · Views: 69

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Wow, tell us about the Big Horn!
    A few years back I was in the hunt for a .500 S&W rifle to pair up with my Magnum Research BFR .500S&W revolver. I had my sites on a Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter 500SW Katahdin carbine. Well I discovered that S&W bought out T/C and none of their Pro Hunters are no longer in production. I could not even find a used one. Then I was looking for an H&R handi-rifle in .500 S&W and the same thing no luck. Since I own several Henrys in 45/70, 30/30, and 22 I wrote then to see if they would manufacturer a .500 S&W. I received an answer thanking me however, they were not going to offer a .500 S&W.

I then stumbled across Big Horn Armory which is the only manufacturer of a .500 S&W in production. I saw some of their videos and was intrigued. They even used one to take down a Bison with a single shot. Proudly built in the USA, the Big Horn Armory Model 89 lever-action rifle in .500 S&W Magnum continues the rich legacy of American firearms design and development. Built from the ground-up and solidly engineered using the latest CNC technology, the Model 89 embodies the best of the old Model 86 and Model 92 lever-actions in a modern platform capable of handling the powerful .500 S&W Magnum. Both rifle and carbine models are manufactured with 17-4 stainless steel precision machined and properly hardened to deliver consistent downrange performance and rugged in-the- field dependability.

Well, I saved up for one but did not get it from BHA directly. I found a dealer JD Outfitters on GunsInternational.com. Two years ago, the price was a little over 4K for the fancy walnut stock. Today the price has gone up another 1K. JD shipped to my FFL with free shipping and they paid the tax. The gun is a wonderful shooter, the action is smooth, and the design is outstanding. It came with skinner peep sites which I love. It is well built, and I even shot 500 grain HC ammo yes it will kick. I typically shoot 350 grain Berry's which is very mild. I shot a 400 grain HCGC with H110 and it blew right through 2" bullet proof glass at a bud's scrap yard. Big Horn Armory makes wonderful guns yes pricy but will last a lifetime.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've got a couple of things that I would consider my favorite rifle - I'd be hard pressed to pick just one. I have four rifles that fit the bill for me as a favorite.

First up is my most recent acquisition - my Bighorn Origin Build in 223 Remington. I put this project together and it's a tack driver. The only limitation this rifle has is the meat bag behind it.

Second up is the Mauser G98 Sporter in 25-06 my Dad built in the 1960s. This is just a classic hunting rifle - sleek lines, uncheckered but beautiful stock, a Timney trigger set right about 4 lbs (Dad actually liked a bit of a pull - pretty sure it can go lighter) and a Redfield 3-9x40 scope that at the time was a pretty solid optic.

Third in line is the Winchester Model 1886 22 inch "short" rifle that was made in 1891 chambered in 45-90. I inherited this gun and it's a bit of a rare bird because in the entire production run of the 1886 up to 1935, only about 2,200 were short rifles. I have the Winchester/Cody letter that has the factory spec.

Last up is a rifle that I bought from Augie. Everything about this rifle is cool. It's a 1903A3 sporter in 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. It shoots pretty well when I get around to feel like abusing my shoulder to actually shoot it. 35 Whelen is known as the poor man's magnum from when Colonel Townsend Whelen designed it with James Howe of Griffin & Howe in 1922. One day I'd like to hunt something with this gun. I've read that with deer more often than not you get a DRT with it, and it's not too much gun for deer.

BighornPrecision.jpg
    Mauser 25-06.jpg
    Win1886.jpeg
    35Whelen.png

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I can't possibly have killed this thread - I know I have small assortment collection of really cool rifles, (well, at least I think they're cool) but there has to be a bunch out there we have yet to see.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Third in line is the Winchester Model 1886 22 inch "short" rifle that was made in 1891 chambered in 45-90. I inherited this gun and it's a bit of a rare bird because in the entire production run of the 1886 up to 1935, only about 2,200 were short rifles. I have the Winchester/Cody letter that has the factory spec.

View attachment 425239

Really nice carbine.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I make it a habit not to post pictures of firearms that may or may not have been lost in boating accidents. But I'm enjoying the thread. Lots of pretty rifles here.
    Maybe post a picture of what your favorite rifle would be. ex " I want one of these, but i'd probably lose it in a boat accident" But a gun grabber would probably see through it I guess, even without mention of a boat accident.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Really nice carbine.
    It's not a carbine - it's a short rifle. The carbine would have a barrel band, not an end cap. That's part of what makes it so valuable.

I used to have the numbers off of the top of my head, but essentially in the entire run of the Winchester 1886, about 9,000 in total were made with a 22" barrel and of those, most were carbines. About 2,200 of them are short rifles. This one of the short rifles - not a carbine.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    It's not a carbine - it's a short rifle. The carbine would have a barrel band, not an end cap. That's part of what makes it so valuable.

I used to have the numbers off of the top of my head, but essentially in the entire run of the Winchester 1886, about 9,000 in total were made with a 22" barrel and of those, most were carbines. About 2,200 of them are short rifles. This one of the short rifles - not a carbine.
    Noted. I subconsciously categorize lever actions such as what you have, as carbines

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Noted. I subconsciously categorize lever actions such as what you have, as carbines
    Ah - ok. That makes sense. The 1886 is a bit different in that it was offered in both, but it was typically configured as a rifle with a standard barrel length of 26" - that's what makes this one rare and collectible.

I took that up to the Antique Arms Show in Timonium one year to show it to a collector, and I had guys falling all over themselves trying to buy it from me. Some of them even seemed crestfallen when I'd politely decline with, "sorry, it's not for sale."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom