• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'm a natural, broke 400 first time I played golf! :thumbsup: Skiing should be a cinch! I'll teach the chicks. ;)

Lol. I would like to see that. Go out to roundtop this weekend and learn. Tell you what, I'll give you a tip. The best place on the mountain for beginning skiers is the trail called gun barrel. You should start there :innocent0

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Lol. I would like to see that. Go out to roundtop this weekend and learn. Tell you what, I'll give you a tip. The best place on the mountain for beginning skiers is the trail called gun barrel. You should start there :innocent0

Nope, no lessons required........ I watched the Olympics and drank a lot of Olympic beer. I'm good.

7c0e133b748e631d97405e92ee00b05ad011bced3668b024b45a64d1d6440daf.jpg

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Where near Snowshoe? My Dad was born in Arbovale and I had a lot of relations in Arbovale and Greenbank until many either moved away or grew old and passed on. In fact, my Aunt Effie lived in one of the old company homes right in Cass until she began to decline. Still have some cousins in Marlinton, Dunmore and Elkins. Also some distant cousins in the area, but I don't know most of them.

Okay, not that close. Within two hours from the slopes. Close enough that it wasn't an onerous trip.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    I grew up a Snowshoe Mtn Brat, raced for Snowshoe and then Canaan-Timberline because from Elkins the latter is 15 minutes closer each way which adds up when my mom had me on the slopes 6 days/week.

For beginners, go to Timberline. The slopes are wider and Sally (Salamander) is impossible to beat for someone getting started. My wife feels much more comfortable on the slopes there than Snowshoe, even though that is where we go most of the time; especially on weekends when the 'shoe can turn into an overcrowded nightmare.

If you want more than just skiing, definitely go to Snowshoe, but be prepared to venture down to the Silver Creek area because the slopes in that area are wider and better designed for beginners.

Small factoid: My dad's company did much of the heavy machinery work cutting the slopes for Silver Creek back in the day. There used to be a picture of him running a dozer with me sitting on his lap back towards the rental area of the complex. :)

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    When I lived in Cleveland (right out of college) I used to meet a friend in P-Burg and drive to Seven Springs *every* weekend for snowboarding.

Now I'm looking to teach my kids skiing. Some here have mentioned Timberline. Looking at their trail map, it shows only two lifts. How crowded does it get?

We are looking to plan a family extended ski weekend, and Timberline seems a nice option.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    I grew up a Snowshoe Mtn Brat, raced for Snowshoe and then Canaan-Timberline because from Elkins the latter is 15 minutes closer each way which adds up when my mom had me on the slopes 6 days/week.

For beginners, go to Timberline. The slopes are wider and Sally (Salamander) is impossible to beat for someone getting started. My wife feels much more comfortable on the slopes there than Snowshoe, even though that is where we go most of the time; especially on weekends when the 'shoe can turn into an overcrowded nightmare.

If you want more than just skiing, definitely go to Snowshoe, but be prepared to venture down to the Silver Creek area because the slopes in that area are wider and better designed for beginners.

Small factoid: My dad's company did much of the heavy machinery work cutting the slopes for Silver Creek back in the day. There used to be a picture of him running a dozer with me sitting on his lap back towards the rental area of the complex. :)

How old are you? My best friend and his sisters were on the snowshoe racing team back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Season passes for Snowshoe are $209-$229 right now, depending on how many sold.

I grabbed one for $209 this morning and it's good after 3/1 plus all of next season. Should pay for itself in one weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    I almost decapitated some dumb B at killington. She decided to side step back up the mtn to another trail and as I'm coming down I see a nice bump as part of the merge has a shelf to take off from. Luckily for the lady she was looking up hill and ducked and that I had the skills to snatch my board up and over her head with an indy grab. Some how i stomped the landing and carved away with my hands in the air.

Sunday river is a great place too if you feel like driving another 2 hours.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    For learning to ski/snowboard beginner's lessons start on the bunny slope with the really slow lift or a rope tow. The beginner slope is the same at the local small resorts as the ultra tony Aspen, CO resorts.
    I really don't see the need for it to be at a nice resort unless the parents want to drop the kiddies off for lessons and get to the double blacks by themselves.
    Save your money if you want for the advanced lessons for the kidz in the western mountains that have excellent powder real double blacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom