• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ptreece

Dec 27, 2020
    Parkville
    Recently I picked up a original Smith Carbine for a decent price. It had a little wobble to it so I sent it out to be fixed. I'm pretty excited to get it back and shoot it.

Attachments

• 20211216_090714.jpg
      20211216_090714.jpg
      183 KB · Views: 231

Ptreece

Dec 27, 2020
    Parkville
    Learn something every day. I thought these were large bore rimfire like a Spencer

Here are some more photos. It's breaks open for the cartridge to be loaded. I also attached a photo of the cartridge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220204-185939_Samsung Internet.jpg
      Screenshot_20220204-185939_Samsung Internet.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 198
    • 20211216_090818.jpg
      20211216_090818.jpg
      175.6 KB · Views: 190
    • 20211216_090744.jpg
      20211216_090744.jpg
      101.6 KB · Views: 188

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Recently I picked up a original Smith Carbine for a decent price. It had a little wobble to it so I sent it out to be fixed. I'm pretty excited to get it back and shoot it.

Very nice! They are usually very good shooters.
    I load my repro with 28 grains of 3f powder in a reduced capacity plastic tube with a .50cal government bullet. I use the Lyman#515139 mold.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I also had my Gallager carbine rebarreled and chambered to use Smith tubes. At the time finding Gallager cases was difficult and expensive when you did find them. By complete dumb luck, my Smith and Gallager’s most accurate load is the same.
    That makes it so nice, as I can load them up and shoot them just as accurately in either carbine.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've never seen these before, very cool indeed.

I saw a guy shooting a short black powder carbine from a handful of benches away a few years back at AGC. The smoke always gets my attention. Next was noting the unusually short length. But then when he broke it in half to load it, I was thinking WTF is that, and it had my undivided attention! Never saw one before.

Nice fella. Wound up getting a pretty good history on the Smith. He was proud of it. I would be too.

These truly are neat as all hell!

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Nice carbine! I love my Pietta copy. They are very accurate once you find what load and projectiles it will like the best! You will have a lot of fun with her….

Ptreece

Dec 27, 2020
    Parkville
    I saw a guy shooting a short black powder carbine from a handful of benches away a few years back at AGC. The smoke always gets my attention. Next was noting the unusually short length. But then when he broke it in half to load it, I was thinking WTF is that, and it had my undivided attention! Never saw one before.

Nice fella. Wound up getting a pretty good history on the Smith. He was proud of it. I would be too.

These truly are neat as all hell!
    My friend introduced me to the smith. He has a modern reproduction. I fired it once and was hooked. That same friend just bought a gunshop and this one was in the inventory when he bought the shop.

Ptreece

Dec 27, 2020
    Parkville
    Nice carbine! I love my Pietta copy. They are very accurate once you find what load and projectiles it will like the best! You will have a lot of fun with her….

My buddy has a Eras Gone Mold for the smith. I'm going over next week to cast some bullets. I can't wait to take it to the range!

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I ordered the Eras Gone mold this winter. Haven’t casted any yet with it. I need to get started soon! Let me know who it shoots with them.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Lots of Smith’s used in the Carbine shoots in the N-SSA. I use 24gr of 3f in mine , an original gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Yeah...I'm "the friend" haha! Here's my Pietta repro, 35gr Pyrodex RS with the Eras Gone bullet sized to .518 has been my best results.

Attachments

• Smith carbine.jpg
      Smith carbine.jpg
      93.1 KB · Views: 101

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads