• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    So I bought a used scope. Didn't like how the caps looked. Emailed Vortex and they sent me new ones.

Bought a used reflex red dot. It didn't come with the picatinny rail adapter. Asked Vortex if I could buy one. They send me one for free along with a hat.

I learned two things.

Maybe I should stop buying used.

And Vortex is really serious about their warranty.

I went ahead and bought a simple spotting scope from them, but they'll definitely be my first option on everything going forward.

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yep. They are good. Had some friends get solid results (even when it was operator damage during use).

I sent em a razor two and it was back in less than two weeks. They mean it when they say forever warranty.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Yep. They are good. Had some friends get solid results (even when it was operator damage during use).

I sent em a razor two and it was back in less than two weeks. They mean it when they say forever warranty.

Yeah, I read on another site about a guy who overtightened his scope rings and they basically sent him a new scope since the one he sent in was out of production.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yeah, I read on another site about a guy who overtightened his scope rings and they basically sent him a new scope since the one he sent in was out of production.
    Yep.

A guy I know managed to bugger up his binos pretty badly on a hunt. He admitted that the issues were due to him sliding down a hill with the binos around his neck. Vortex fixed em.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Vortex has a great warranty, I will continue to buy their products because of how they stand behind it.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

I had a Gen 1 Razor on a 6.5 Creedmore match rifle that was in the back seat during a fairly nasty car accident in July 2020. I later took it to my local range for some verification rounds, things seemed to still be okay. Another month later at a Long Range Challenge at Peacemaker, on my fifth and final stage, target 20 of 25 things went south quickly. All tracking was gone, rounds were going who knows where, dialing was done for the day, it was broke. Vortex emailed me a shipping label that Monday and I packed it up and shipped it out UPS off my company loading dock that afternoon. It came back in less than 2 weeks, re-mounted it and went back to the range and everything has been right as rain since. Also got a hat and a shirt and some stickers.

Sadly, I have a Gen 2 Razor mounted on a Ruger RPR 6.5 PRC that in 3 trips to the range I cannot zero (actually can’t even get it on paper). This Razor, which was brand new at the time (last summer) has never tracked properly. Dialing the turrets results in absolutely no impact point changes whatsoever. I need to send this one back too. Very disappointed in this $2,500 scope that was broke from the jump, but I know Vortex will take care of it.

Love that the warranty is available.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I had a Gen 1 Razor on a 6.5 Creedmore match rifle that was in the back seat during a fairly nasty car accident in July 2020. I later took it to my local range for some verification rounds, things seemed to still be okay. Another month later at a Long Range Challenge at Peacemaker, on my fifth and final stage, target 20 of 25 things went south quickly. All tracking was gone, rounds were going who knows where, dialing was done for the day, it was broke. Vortex emailed me a shipping label that Monday and I packed it up and shipped it out UPS off my company loading dock that afternoon. It came back in less than 2 weeks, re-mounted it and went back to the range and everything has been right as rain since. Also got a hat and a shirt and some stickers.

Sadly, I have a Gen 2 Razor mounted on a Ruger RPR 6.5 PRC that in 3 trips to the range I cannot zero (actually can’t even get it on paper). This Razor, which was brand new at the time (last summer) has never tracked properly. Dialing the turrets results in absolutely no impact point changes whatsoever. I need to send this one back too. Very disappointed in this $2,500 scope that was broke from the jump, but I know Vortex will take care of it.

Love that the warranty is available.
    PM me if you want to.

Not saying you aren't doing it right (you clearly have plenty of experience with precision optics) but I've seen some weird shit happen with guys zeroing and adjusting the razor two. One I found that the locking screws weren't gripping. Another was more complicated. I have three of them and like em. The one that went back was for an element issue. So far no tracking issues.

Sucks that you are having so much BS. I will all but guarantee that vortex will fix it fast, though.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    PM me if you want to.

Not saying you aren't doing it right (you clearly have plenty of experience with precision optics) but I've seen some weird shit happen with guys zeroing and adjusting the razor two. One I found that the locking screws weren't gripping. Another was more complicated. I have three of them and like em. The one that went back was for an element issue. So far no tracking issues.

Sucks that you are having so much BS. I will all but guarantee that vortex will fix it fast, though.
    I appreciate the offer, I may end up taking you up on that. I plan to get this rifle sorted out before the end of the summer,msince I suppose I drug my feet long enough on it, a year later. I plan to call Vortex this week to get a repair/ship order started. Thanks for the tip on the locking screws though, I hadn’t thought of that since the scope was brand new and I had never touched the turrets prior to that first range trip. It’s worth a try. Gonna check them tonight.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I appreciate the offer, I may end up taking you up on that. I plan to get this rifle sorted out before the end of the summer,msince I suppose I drug my feet long enough on it, a year later. I plan to call Vortex this week to get a repair/ship order started. Thanks for the tip on the locking screws though, I hadn’t thought of that since the scope was brand new and I had never touched the turrets prior to that first range trip. It’s worth a try. Gonna check them tonight.
    I don't want to clutter doggyjackets thread too much but it's sorta kinda relevant I guess.

The way you do the gen twos is to remove the turret center caps, slip the external locking screws and do your adjustment with the (included) plastic tool. Should feel no clicks and the external turret should not turn. I actually saw a guy legit trash the little brass piece in the center of the elevation turret because he was trying to force it and the external locking screws were locked down. Brass shavings everywhere. Major damage.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I don't want to clutter doggyjackets thread too much but it's sorta kinda relevant I guess.

The way you do the gen twos is to remove the turret center caps, slip the external locking screws and do your adjustment with the (included) plastic tool. Should feel no clicks and the external turret should not turn. I actually saw a guy legit trash the little brass piece in the center of the elevation turret because he was trying to force it and the external locking screws were locked down. Brass shavings everywhere. Major damage.
    Just re-read the manual, I was trying by just dialing, not doing it the way you described, which is how the manual says to do it. The reticle won’t even move when laser boresighting it. All told I only have about 15 rounds thru the rifle in 3 separate trips to the range, it’s always been a last minute afterthought after working other rifles and running out of time. I’m gonna spend some quality time with it soon and get this thing straight. Thanks for the quality advice, I’ll let you know how it goes.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Just re-read the manual, I was trying by just dialing, not doing it the way you described, which is how the manual says to do it. The reticle won’t even move when laser boresighting it. All told I only have about 15 rounds thru the rifle in 3 separate trips to the range, it’s always been a last minute afterthought after working other rifles and running out of time. I’m gonna spend some quality time with it soon and get this thing straight. Thanks for the quality advice, I’ll let you know how it goes.
    The probability is that you have a broken optic. Possibly an incorrectly assembled erector. Couple other things come to mind as well but lower on the totem pole. The reality is that everyone has a "Monday". I just had a guy have to send a ZCO back last fall and that's about $5000 worth of optic. They fixed it, and quick enough for him to make his hunt. We were actually planning on pulling one of my razors and zeroing it on his rifle as a backup plan but it turned out to be unnecessary.

Rule out all sources of error first, though, as it's a lot easier to fix a process issue than ship the damn thing!

If you run into more weirdness, PM me.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo

don’t worry, just a throwaway thread and you always have something interesting to say on these topics

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    So I bought a used scope. Didn't like how the caps looked. Emailed Vortex and they sent me new ones.

Bought a used reflex red dot. It didn't come with the picatinny rail adapter. Asked Vortex if I could buy one. They send me one for free along with a hat.

I learned two things.

Maybe I should stop buying used.

And Vortex is really serious about their warranty.

I went ahead and bought a simple spotting scope from them, but they'll definitely be my first option on everything going forward.

Actually I look for used optics especially from companies that have excellent warranties. If I can get a higher end scope sbd save 30% off of new, and also have the piece of mind that the manufacturer will cover the repair, if the previous owner sold me a broken scope is the main reason I look for used first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I sent in my strikefire that was a decade old or so because the dot intermittently went out. I got a brand new red/green strike fire with the 1/3 cowitness mount and everything in a shrink-wrapped box. I ended up just giving it to my dad as a Xmas present for his rifle and buying a strike eagle 1-6. I also got a 10x solo for my son because it was $50 from rei at the time and if he breaks it... f it, just get another one.

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    I'm glad they are good, unfortunately I have to find out, I just got my SPARC II in the mail tonight, I mounted it and torqued it to 20 in Lbs. From the info on they're website.
    I bore sighted it and was doing some dry fire and target acquisition drills in the garage and the mount bolt sheared off at the threads and the lug flew somewhere that time forgot amongst all the mislabeled totes in here.
    I did use loctite when it wasn't specified so I'm hoping that was the cause. The scope mount screws had a dry spec and a wet spec, the mount to rail only said 20-25 in lbs so I went with the lower rating.
    It didn't hold up to dry fire Im a little leery when I put rounds down range. I think I'm gonna dummy chord it down so I don't get a unicorn horn.

Update:
    I had sent them an email prior to posting this and I received an email friday morning saying that they were sending me a new high mount ,4 more mounting screws and a vortex hat. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Then around lunchtime I got an email from tech support answering my question about mount to rail torque spec using loctite. He advised to torque to 15 in lbs instead of 20 if I use loctite.

Last edited:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I’m not a huge fan of their optics under 1k$, but they are a great company to deal with and if they have an offering in the ballpark of my budget that is comparable in quality then I will always buy Vortex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom