• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Haven't seen a knife sharpening thread in a while -

Spyderco Sharpmaker I'm gonna get one for like $65
    I can't take my unsharp Dexters - any more..
    the electric sharpener is useless....

Anyone else?

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I need to get a knife sharpening set-up. I have been looking at the Lansky style of kits. Anyone have any experience with a kit like those?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    look in the "edged weapons" section or search "lansky" there's a few threads in there on sharpening methods people like.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Well slightly different, but my spyderco is terribly dull... so bad is more dangerous than if it were really sharp :eek:

Had been thinking about getting a Diamond paste setup for this and my wood working tools.

How's the spyderco sharpener supposed to perform?

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I kinda think it's up to the skill of the user, but I haven't
    gotten mine yet.
    I use my knives so much more now it's a shame I can't hone it nice..
    maybe Spyderco is the answer...it might stop carpal tunnel because a sharper
    knife = less stress..

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Well slightly different, but my spyderco is terribly dull... so bad is more dangerous than if it were really sharp :eek:

Had been thinking about getting a Diamond paste setup for this and my wood working tools.

For $5 to cover postage, Spyderco will sharpen it for you.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I love my spyderco sharpmaker but it is only for keeping knives sharp in my house. Takes forever if your knife is badly dulled and that's what the worksharp is for. I also like the lansky kits and crock sticks. I own a ton of knife sharpeners lol

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I love my spyderco sharpmaker but it is only for keeping knives sharp in my house. Takes forever if your knife is badly dulled and that's what the worksharp is for. I also like the lansky kits and crock sticks. I own a ton of knife sharpeners lol

Well, what's the best way?
    It makes no sense to spend $10 sharpening a $15 Dexter.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I need to get a knife sharpening set-up. I have been looking at the Lansky style of kits. Anyone have any experience with a kit like those?

I've got the Lansky diamond kit and that's pretty much all I use. Some of the soldiers I work with had terrible dull knives I had ever seen. I fixed them up and now have a group of knives I touch up on a regular basis.

I use the Lansky pull through sharpener to keep them touched up.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

Honestly, the best way is to never let it get dull. Spend the money to have it sharpened and for a few bucks at a sporting good store you can get a pull through ceramic sharpener to keep it sharp.

Or get something like the Lansky kit where you can clamp the blade in and keep the angle correct. Once you get it sharpened with that, every couple times you use it, clamp it in and touch it up.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Get something like the Lansky diamond kit to take care of dull knives or set the edge bevel. Then use the Spyderco Sharpmaker to keep the knives sharp. If the knife you want to sharpen is really dull or does not have an edge bevel equal to or less than the that of the Spyderco Sharpaker, then you will not be very happy with the Sharpmaker. It will take a really, really long time to get the knife sharp with just the Sharpmaker.

If you just have a couple of knives, then get someone else to sharpen them as has been suggested previously.

Or, if you are inclined to spend the time and effort, learn how to sharpen well with just a bench stone. It took me over a year to get it down pretty well.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

I would say overall the worksharp has the greatest flexibility. Plus i can use it to sharpen my lawnmower blades and take burs off things like steel pipe. However it is $100 plus belts. If you want to spend under $50 get the lansky kit. The sharpmaker is nice but if you are only going to own one sharpener i would say worksharp or lansky kit.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Get a worksharp, its AWESOME.

While learning to straight razor shave and restore razors, I learned a fair bit about sharpening. There is no easier and cheaper way to sharpen knives, axes, hatchets, lawn mower blades, scissors, etc etc than the worksharp. It gets your blades hair-popping sharp in no time at all, pretty incredible.

And only $70, this is a steal!

Before I bought my worksharp I spent $100s on many other systems and nothing at all compares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom