Suggestions for a low powered, large objective rifle scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Might be a man doing lines based on recent posts. :shocked3:
    Review some of his posts on rifle stuff. Some is ok. Some is not so ok. That's one area where I do know a little. I don't see any point to correcting him as he does nothing but browbeat anyone who disagrees with him.

Inviting people like that to come out and put their money where their mouth is wastes oxygen since they will have a hundred reasons why they should not deign to engage.

Speaking of lines, hook a brother up. You know, for my coming nasal surgery......

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Ed needs to quit writing about trying to figure out how to to do work arounds for shooting after regulated shooting hours and that sounds like a wussified excuse for trying to suck up to someone.
    Its people like the OP and others on this forum that get people in trouble when they dont think. Anybody that doesn't have their head in there ass knows what I'm talking about.
    Furthermore, I dont need an education from anyone on this forum and if I do Ill ask specifically for it.

But to answer to answer the first part of your question. No, I dont know Ed.
    But now I have one for you being that you know so much like the other bright minds here.
    Why should someone have to answer for him and then be asked to look at what he wrote?
    Maybe that apology should, just happen to be reciprocal?

Like I said, happy Sika deer hunting everyone.
    Its pretty easy to see during regular daylight hunting hours and be careful for what you write.
    It could just wind up to be considered intent and result in unintended consequences for all the Einsteins out there that dont get it.
    Oh and make sure you have that MDS sticker big and bold when your running around the Sika woods.
    If you think that name tag or display of intellectual intelligence buys you some cred, dont count on it.
    Otherwise, I dont care what dumb fucks do in their neck of the woods, but if you act an ass in mine your going to know about it especially when myself, someone I know or happen to care about has have to answer for it.
    Deserves******** aint got nothing to do about it. Some people here live in the real world and just dont talk about it and they dont deserve getting hemmed up by some wanna be tenderfoot shit talkers.
    WAY, WAY out of line, and so far off target it's absurd. :sad20:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Ok everyone, you got me.
    I’ll publicly apologize for insulting anyone personally or for hurting feelings. I certainly did not consider intentionally harming anyone’s sensitivities or vulnerabilities.
    Otherwise feel free to insult me all you want if you like or if that sort of behavior checks an internal authority or power box for some folks.

One thing I will not apologize for however, is the truth when it comes to legal shooting hours and the nature of equipment and how it is applied in the field, especially when hunting sika deer or any regulated game species for that matter.

Sika thrive in what is really a very small geographical area to where one’s actions may adversely affect another’s. Especially here in the county. That’s probably a concept not many may understand, but in small communities like mine, it’s a very well known aspect of daily life and folks are keen to that sort of thing. The authorities both federal and state are too. Maybe you get it, or you don’t. My guess more than likely it would be the latter, not the former.

How folks want to juxtapose or insinuate what I memorialized is up to them.
    Otherwise look me up anytime you would like to discuss further, possibly in person?
    I'm not hard to locate or reach, if people feel that strongly about their position that they would like to meet and discuss, thats not to much of a problem for me. The discussion, or the tab. Soft drinks and dinner only. Id rather be guilty of an illegal method than a rummy or a druggie like some here already implied.

Great thread, Y'all.

I never get sika and tired of reading witty replies to ridiculous poaching accusations.
    I prefer and never get tired of the cash personally, and ethical deer hunters who get things done the right way before legal light is over.
    If you want to lease some land instead of talking or reading about it and getting kicks that way, let me know before its all paid out.
    I have some waterfowl too if you can afford it. That sort of thing is a little bit extra this year so maybe your not up for it?
    We can meet an discuss if you like, just as I already mentioned.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1661.jpg
      thumbnail_IMG_1661.jpg
      95.1 KB · Views: 7

Coehorn

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Ok everyone, you got me.
    I’ll publicly apologize for insulting anyone personally or for hurting feelings. I certainly did not consider intentionally harming anyone’s sensitivities or vulnerabilities.
    Otherwise feel free to insult me all you want if you like or if that sort of behavior checks an internal authority or power box for some folks.

One thing I will not apologize for however, is the truth when it comes to legal shooting hours and the nature of equipment and how it is applied in the field, especially when hunting sika deer or any regulated game species for that matter.

Sika thrive in what is really a very small geographical area to where one’s actions may adversely affect another’s. Especially here in the county. That’s probably a concept not many may understand, but in small communities like mine, it’s a very well known aspect of daily life and folks are keen to that sort of thing. The authorities both federal and state are too. Maybe you get it, or you don’t. My guess more than likely it would be the latter, not the former.

Otherwise look me up anytime you would like to discuss further, possibly in person?
    I'm not hard to locate or reach, if people feel that strongly about their position that they would like to meet and discuss, thats not to much of a problem for me. The discussion, or the tab. Soft drinks and dinner only. Id rather be guilty of an illegal method than a rummy or a druggie like some here already implied.

I prefer and never get tired of the cash personally, and ethical deer hunters who get things done the right way before legal light is over.
    If you want to lease some land instead of talking or reading about it and getting kicks that way, let me know before its all paid out.
    I have some waterfowl too if you can afford it. That sort of thing is a little bit extra this year so maybe your not up for it?

Last edited:

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Ok everyone, you got me.

Translation: "Sorry, not sorry. We can meet in person and fight if you want to say I'm wrong"

ROFL

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Translation: "Sorry, not sorry. We can meet in person and fight if you want to say I'm wrong"

ROFL
    I remember you. You never showed or couldn't communicate when you had an invite to go deer hunting.
    Guess you figured out things had to be done correctly so you didn't make it?

By the way, your wrong regarding your assertion Francis, just like you were while thinking you would be on easy street for a deer hunting opportunity.

Have a great season this upcoming year, plenty of time to try and figure out how to make things happen without a lot of wasted effort.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Someone needs to notify the $ billion+ hunting optics industry that providing and promoting large objective diameter lense scopes is causing an overwhelming poaching epidemic. Also they should ALL stop advertising these products as “great for low-light gathering in the early morning hours and the last few minutes of legal shooting light”, also to prevent poaching. Anyone that has been subjected to these concepts (mostly thru product advertisement but also thru personal observations) and is prone to researching and choosing their optics as such is clearly guilty of being a despicable poacher, without question. I mean, c’mon Jack!

Or....

Somebody just has a burr under their saddle (though very well intentioned) and needs to chill out and accept the heat for epically overreacting to this and hurling unfounded accusations at respected long time members trying to simply engage in discussion relevant to common everyday topics of a forum such as this one.

Maybe.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I remember you. You never showed or couldn't communicate when you had an invite to go deer hunting.
    Guess you figured out things had to be done correctly so you didn't make it?

By the way, your wrong regarding your assertion Francis, just like you were while thinking you would be on easy street for a deer hunting opportunity.

Have a great season this upcoming year, plenty of time to try and figure out how to make things happen without a lot of wasted effort.
    I appreciated your offer last year. Due to work commitments, it never worked out to link up with your son on his schedule. That you want to twist that and try to smear me, just continues to show your character.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As much as magnification flexibility is nice, I'd personally go for a 3x28 or a 4x32 if you want the best light gathering possible at dawn or dusk. The fewer the elements within the scope or lens, the lighter transmission there is. Granted, fully multicoated scopes (which are most of the medium prices and higher scopes) are transmitting 99+% per element, so a 6-7 element scope is transmitting 95+% of the total light gathered.

But that said, a 3-9x40 is going to be pretty fine on the lower end of the magnification for light gathering unless there are other optical issues like only single coated or not fully multicoated elements or a lot of fringe or aberration that will reduce clarity, which will be more noticeable in low light as your pupil opens up too and enhances your own cornea's optical aberrations (it isn't just that rods have lower resolution on your cornea, it is also that optical aberrations are increased is also why your night vision isn't as good as day vision).

If you want the most light gathering and most magnification, then finding a fixed 6x42 or 8x50 is the way to go.

I agree flexibility is nice, which is why all of my centerfire hunting rifles have 3-9x40 on them. 90% of my shots have been at 4x, which is what I usually leave my scopes on in a stand or blind. I'll usually walk around at 3x. I think I've hit 5-6x on a couple of shots and once I dialed it up around 8-9 (I didn't take that shot as the deer was in too much thick stuff 100yds away).

That said, I'd like a 3x or maybe 4x micro prism for a hunting lever gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom