• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Folks-Looking to build my cabin in West Va (Romney) and I am curious if anyone on here has used Superior Walls? All of the cabins I see up there seem to have them so I am wondering if anyone has a rough estimate on the cost per linear foot. Not really into debating the use of them over block or SIP's...

I am feeling out the cost before I start officially requesting estimates....

coopdog

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I haven't personally owned a home with pre cast concrete walls. My wife's nephew and my inlaws have homes with superior walls and they are REALLY nice IMO.

I've been in hundreds of homes over the years with them and have never heard a complaint. There were a few local builders here that would ONLY use this system for their homes, I'd estimate they (and a few others) have easily a few thousand homes in Cecil County with them.

West Virginia is (generally) short on skilled labor, finding a mason to do a good job with block might be a chore. Same with poured walls.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Also, consider the advantages of having:

1) iso insulation (albeit minimal) already on your basement walls.
    2) furring strips to attach drywall to in the event you decide to finish the area
    3) pre cut holes for wires (see above) in the "framing" to run wires through.

Unless I knew a good poured wall contractor with some jobs he could show me, I'd strongly consider Superior Precast.

I think I remember ~$65 a foot for 9' walls, but, that may be old data or I may just be pulling that out of my ass....

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    ive done extensive remodeling to homes with precast concrete walls. I wasnt impressed.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Elaborate.

What issues did you encounter?

mildew and mold. in the wall cavities on the insulation. a lot more than I expected for walls that were not below grade.

rodents. lots of rodents. mice could go from panel to panel through the knockouts without problem.

the knockouts themselves. in areas with a lot going on, they get crowded fast.

Im not sure if its moisture and humidity in the panels drawn up from the ground, or just variations in the thickness of the panels and fir strips, but drywall on the inside seems to be wavy/ get wavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom