• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I'm not a fixed blade enthusiast, but years ago I bought a small Don Cowles fixed blade knife that he calls - The Gentleman's Knife. He makes custom versions mostly, but he does sell a "factory" version for $99 that I bought. I'd love to have one of his custom blades, but can't seem to justify $450 and up for a knife I couldn't bring myself to actually use. They're really beautiful.

Here's his website:

http://www.cowlesknives.com

Anyway, here's a photo of the factory version which is really a very nicely made knife. Apparently he has the knives made and then fits the signature ruby and makes all the sheaths by hand. He calls it the Ruby Shortcut. The blade is a 2.5 inch hollow-ground 10Cr17 stainless drop-point blade. The scales are bone and it includes a pigskin lined, cowhide sheath with a pocket clip. The sheath also contains a rare-earth magnet to keep the blade secured in the sheath.

Cowles1.jpg

One of Con Cowles' signature features is a small ruby in 14k gold set into the blade's ricasso.

Cowles2.jpg

I've carried mine clipped inside my briefcase for years and, I admit, it's been treated badly by lousy sharpening. I'd love to replace it and may just do that as it's such an elegant design. Certainly not a "combat knife" by any stretch but it opens letters and boxes like nobody's business - and sharp enough to perform that odd emergency tracheotomy when needed!

Just thought y'all might like to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom