• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I was preparing to blue the Mauser 03/38 project gun and discovered the final straw in making this a wall hanger only. A crack in the receiver. Oh well, I'm learning a lot of stuff. I'm still going to blue it. Especially after buying the beautiful stock on GunBroker.

Attachments

• P1020221.jpg
      P1020221.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 214

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Maybe someone will chime in who can tell you how it likely cracked. I've never seen a mauser receiver cracked like that before. Maybe a squibb and therefore excessive pressure?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I don't think that the receiver cracked due to excessive pressure, it looks like it suffered a hard crack against something, like it was used for a club or fell from a large height. Pressure damage leaves other tell-tale signs, and if this is the only thing that makes this receiver unsafe, it probably just cracked along a natural seam in the metal after being cracked hard, as I have suggested.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    man, that sucks.

i have to agree if there is no other sign of stress, then that crack was probably from something other than shooting it.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Yeah, it does suck. Especially after finding a nice stock for it. I don't know for sure, but I get the feeling the 03/38 is one of the harder rifles to find too. I'll keep my eyes open for another one, just so I can use the stock!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe to fire. That part of the receiver doesn't bear any stress during firing. It could indicate the steel is brittle (and therefore unsafe). Have a gunsmith check the hardness of the steel to see if it's within spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom