• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I thought long and hard about building one in 45ACP after building my 9mm PCC. After reading the mediocre reviews on available parts I decided to buy a HIGH POINT carbine in that caliber and install a 1911 style mag release. That allows me to use my 1911 mags in any capacity. It's reliable and accurate and cost me less than half what the parts for an AR platform would have cost.

Coehorn

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Not just you. That's why I...

View attachment 467628
    Hello, Sir

That is beautiful.

Been thinking about a 9mm build for many years but I don't know the ins and outs of them. The Quartercircle10 folks show six lowers on their site. Can you please elaborate on your lower. Which model? What is required to finish building the lower, etc.? Special mags required? Are there lowers that are Glock extended mag types?

Any info is good info. Or point me to the single greatest MDS 9mm build thread. Are the 9mm builds reliable enough to use as a home defense piece? Or are they finicky based on bullet weight, bullet shape, etc.?

MTIA

Last edited:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Is it just me? or does anyone else hate the looks of a PCC lower with a full size 5.56 magwell with a little 9mm mag in it?? looks like some kluged together BS
    No, it’s not just you. Although mine functions beautifully, I’ve never been a huge fan of its looks. I would definitely rather have a dedicated 9mm lower.
    IMG_3416.jpeg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hello, Sir

That is beautiful.

Been thinking about a 9mm build for many years but I don't know the ins and outs of them. The Quartercircle10 folks show six lowers on their site. Can you please elaborate on your lower. Which model? What is required to finish building the lower, etc.? Special mags required? Are there lowers that are Glock extended mag types?

Any info is good info. Or point me to the single greatest MDS 9mm build thread. Are the 9mm builds reliable enough to use as a home defense piece? Or are they finicky based on bullet weight, bullet shape, etc.?

MTIA
    This is my HD gun.

PM sent...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hello, Sir

That is beautiful.

MTIA
    A couple of my AR9 builds. For blowback, The 2 most important things are the feed ramp/cone, and the buffer. I like Taccom and Macon barrels/BCGs, full stroke are a bit more reliable, short stroke cycle quicker, less gas to the face, and less dot movement. the 10oz KVP buffer feels good and is reliable, have used AR15 carbine, rifle and DPMS pattern AR308 carbine springs, depending on the load and barrel length any of the 3 can feel and function better, usually AR15 rifle spring. I do have some other buffer setups, the Blitzkreig short stroke hydraulic buffer is really smooth, and reliable for a short stroke, but it's expensive, and there is more to go wrong, great for competition, might be leery about using one for defense. I also have a few using the Maxim RDB, it works as advertised, very light recoil, very good suppressed, simple and durable design that I have enough rounds through to trust for defense. The problems with that is that the charging handle has to overcome the mechanism and can be very stiff to get moving, and it relies on a fairly precise preload which may need shims depending on buffer tube specs.

Some dedicated lowers, like the FM products and Aero EPC cost about the same as a good magwell adapter, and end up being less expensive than a lower and adapter. The last round bolt hold open (LRBHO) can work well or hardly work at all. FM products has one of the best designs, and it is in the lower, so you can use a variety of uppers with it. Aero and NFA use a wire in the upper, mine are flawless, but some have to bend the wire linkage a little to get it to run well. My QC10 uses a complicated and not all that reliable part, and it took some work shaping and polishing it to be mostly reliable. For a trigger, I LOVE the Hiperfire PDI, it's a cartridge trigger, but very rugged with a light pull, and a PCC bumper to cushion the hammer on reset. It has a little more sear engagement and travel than the shortest/crispest triggers, and a pronounced positive reset. This is great for a PCC being it is VERY controllable and easy to run fast without inadvertent bump firing or hammer follow, which can happen being there is a LOT of mass moving around inside a blowback AR, and it bumps the rifle around more than DI calibers.

20230424_100450.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom