• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Thoughts on this Vault?? It looks exactly what I'm looking for a vault for quick access when I'm in the main level of my home. I could just bolt it to the inside of the closet or desk or the wall behind my sofa....

Gun Vault SPEEDVAULT STANDARD SV500

Attachments

• speedvault-2.jpg
      speedvault-2.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 548
    • speedvault-1.jpg
      speedvault-1.jpg
      31.6 KB · Views: 533

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I also was considering one of those, I have a keypad/keyed lock safe for my room, but that would be nice to stash somewhere else around the house.

Of course you could also just holster up and carry at home too. :innocent0

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    thing that sucks about the GV stuff is that is battery operated. you never know when your batteries are going to die out - and it seems they happen at random times...

I'll go to get something and the thing will not open. NOT GOOD.

It'd be better if they were plugged into the wall.

That being said, it is what it is and I like my GV. Keep ur batteries fresh tho

Also if there is a biometric option, go with that. its faster & more reliable. i've messed up the key code under regular circumstances never mind under stress..

my .02

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    thing that sucks about the GV stuff is that is battery operated. you never know when your batteries are going to die out - and it seems they happen at random times...

Also if there is a biometric option, go with that. its faster & more reliable. i've messed up the key code under regular circumstances never mind under stress..

my .02

You can see it has a key spot on it. Most storage devices have them as a backup just in case.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD

my .02

I have a gunvault that plugs in to 110v and has battery backup. They do make them and I like it.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.

my .02

yes this is Biometric

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    yes this is Biometric

I was out at DEFCON in Vegas this past Summer and one of the sessions was on hacking and breaking into these small safes. I'm pretty sure the GV was one of the evaluated lock boxes. I'm going to try and find the recording of the session; I know it's on the web somewhere.

The biometric set ups are a joke, unless used in conjunction with multiple authentication types.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I was out at DEFCON in Vegas this past Summer and one of the sessions was on hacking and breaking into these small safes. I'm pretty sure the GV was one of the evaluated lock boxes. I'm going to try and find the recording of the session; I know it's on the web somewhere.

The biometric set ups are a joke, unless used in conjunction with multiple authentication types.

IMHO speed safes like these serve one purpose and one purpose only: to deny immediate access of your loaded firearms to a home invader.

They are not for the following:

- Denying access to children, they will figure out how to get in there. Proper parenting > any lock.

- Denying access to thieves when you are not there. Seriously, if I were trying to steal your firearm out of one of these I'd just crowbar it off of wherever it is bolted and take the whole box to open at my leisure later. Now I'm not a thief, but if I can think of that I'm pretty sure someone who is a thief already has. I have seen instances where thieves tied a safe to a truck and pulled it right through a wall, thieves are rather creative and there is a good reason for the term "smash and grab."

The point is if someone smashes into your house they cannot quickly access your own weapon and use it against you. There are more than a few secret squirrel types that keep firearms randomly stashed around their house with no sort of security measures other than hoping a burglar/random bad guy won't find them. These boxes allow you to mount firearms where you want without allowing fast access to anyone else. If you want to put guns all over the place fine, but at least put a barrier between the guns and those who would use them against you.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, basically, the product functions as it should and that's a problem? Not sure I'm understanding your objections, Nate. What would do what this does better while maintaining the same ease of placement?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a GV Multi 2000 that I bought expressly for keeping my grand kids out.. It works just fine.

Actually the only thing it does do well is keeping unwanted little hands off the firearm. It certainly won't stop a thief. It is not intended for that IMO.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Not sure I'm understanding your objections, Nate.

Oh no objections at all, in fact I am a big proponent of these.

I was merely pointing out the limitations. There is a difference between what I consider "security" (actually preventing theft) versus "denial" (stopping someone from gaining quick access.) IMHO these are denial devices, not security.

As for the child aspect... I believe these will keep a very young child from getting their hands on a firearm while still allowing the owner quick access (unlike a cable lock etc.) However at some point, once the child is old enough to become sneaky, it's time to put out proper guidelines. When I was young, but old enough to be aware of my surroundings, there was nothing in my house that was "off-limits" in respect my ability to find and access them. What kept me in line was having parents that set out proper rules and guidelines that kept me honest.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's okay. Better than nothing. Don't leave a gun in it when you're not at home.

Consider buying a second cheap one, put a steel or lead bar in it, and leave in plain sight (say on top of your nightstand) in case your home is burglarized. Better yet, put an NRA or "GUN" sticker on it. Said burglar is likely to see it, grab it, and run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom