Thoughts on This MAS49/56 From Atlantic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Don't risk it. Everything I've seen says the rifles in this import came out of Africa and are a disappointment. If you want a 49/56, pay a little more and buy an older import. Also, don't buy one converted to .308. The chamber was modified with a glued in place insert. The question is not "if" but "when" is that insert going to blow out? There are also reliability issues because the design was calibrated for the 7.5 round.

Last edited:

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    I need to go check my mas 49/56 if it has an import mark. I've had it since '10...the I.O. import mark of death i avoid typically

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    mine is not even import marked...13 years i didnt even realize it. I've shot it a lot back when 7.5 was $13/b and even hunted with it.

Doesn't have a refurb stamp as well.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have been told the bores, chambers, and gas system on some of the later imports are not in the best of shape. That may not be true though.

A direct impingement rifle with with a corroded chamber and gas system will usually not run well.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Often the bores on these were not blocked off when they were arsenal re-finished and the bore got zinc parkerized. Shoot 'em enough and the parkerizing wears away to the original metal beneath. That's how my very early Century import 49/56 is. I have no experience with later batches of imports but the early ones with dark bores are OK. The French would never re-work and place into reserve a rifle with a sub-standard condition bore.
    If this one was not arsenal re-finished then I'd take a pass, as others have advised. I'd only be looking at a 49 or 49/56 that was arsenal reworked. They're not so rare as to be worth the gamble and the price on this one isn't that much of a bargain. There are a couple of Century imports coming up at auction on Friday. Both look outstanding. Worth bookmarking and watching. Holiday weekends can be a good time for bargain hunting as many competitors are away with family commitments. Current bidding on both is $400 with a 15 point vig. or $460 before shipping. I'll bet they hammer in the low $800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom