• ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    That is the question …

I’m really torn over this … $70/1,000 CCI #500 Small Pistol primers but,

- after shipping, tax and HYSTERIA-fee it‘s like $800 for 10,000 primers … it’s been so long since I’ve had to buy primers I don’t know if this is as good as it’s ever gonna get or if there may be a better deal around the corner … it’s literally keeping me up at night …

Attachments

• IMG_4452.png
      IMG_4452.png
      191.2 KB · Views: 32

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's not as good as it's going to get. Last primer purchase I made was a bunch of Ginex SPP because it was cheap. When Federal gets down to 5cpp, I'll invest a little heavier, but loading myself to the gills on hard CCI primers isn't a great play, IMHO.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Thanks. Keeping my powder dry a bit longer …

(Their sale on Promo 12ga shotshell powder [essentially same as Red Dot] for $241 / keg otoh was taken advantage of, to the max allowed!)

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Thanks. Keeping my powder dry a bit longer …

(Their sale on Promo 12ga shotshell powder [essentially same as Red Dot] for $241 / keg otoh was taken advantage of, to the max allowed!)
    Alliant Promo is great for handguns (38 Special, 9mm, and 45 ACP) too.

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    Yeah the availability on stuff has been getting a little better imo.prices are coming down some but I'm dialing back a little on purchases at the moment myself. Unless something is a good deal I'm trying to fight the urge to buy.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    I'm still holding....but then I made a big primer purchase right before everything blew up in Mar 2020....if I was down to under 1K I would probably be singing a different tune and would buy, but only in small amounts.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    If I had to buy primers it probably would be local, 1-2k at a time.... but actually Primer wise I'm good, except 209's and no don't want Cheddite at this time..Still have primers from the 80's and 03. Several thousands.
    Powder enuff for 5.56 plinking / practice WC-844, same with 7.62, WC-846. for a while
    231, Bullseye, Red Dot, 2400, Unique, 4895, 4064, 748. at this point I'd go broke just by either buying bullets or getting lead to cast them.

-Rock

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    " Normal for the moment " has been holding at $79-89 / K for a while now , for in person purchase .

Will price and availability significantly improve before the next spike and panic in 2024 before the Elections ? I dunno , my crystal ball is in the shop .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Paying a bit more than you may have had to sucks. What's worse though, is needing components that you wake up and find you can't now obtain.

Everyone has a number. Maybe it's a year's stock on each component given one's annual volume. Maybe it's two years. But one needs to think it through. Whatever your comfort level, you can comfortably play the "best price" game from there.

While primer pricing and availability are both improving, powder is climbing the price ladder. And availability of some powders (some Alliant offerings especially) is spotty at best.

One sneeze, and the whole industry is once again in "God Bless You" lockup mode, without a Kleenex to be had anywhere. And you won't know when. Plan accordingly.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    " Normal for the moment " has been holding at $79-89 / K for a while now , for in person purchase .

Will price and availability significantly improve before the next spike and panic in 2024 before the Elections ? I dunno , my crystal ball is in the shop .
    You can easily buy Ginex small pistol and rifle primers for 6.5cpp shipped. Even Fiocchi now. I'm not paying 9cpp for anything that's not Federal primers.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    How good are the Ginex and Fiocchi small pistol primers? I've only used CCI and Winchester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom