• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Seen the Bodegas around, nice high end flippers, but for nearly a grand just too rich for my blood, there are tons of quality practical knives for a fraction of the cost. I use my knives, and appreciate a good $200+ folder, but just couldn't bring myself to scrape old paint, cut open bags, and do most any task without the terror of messing up something that cost more than my first car. They do have a "reality" show now too, Blade brothers on Discovery.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I believe that class of knives is for men what shoe buying is for women.

What does your nephew's collection look like now? Are these knives similar to what Begg makes? Ultra-cool futuristic type of stuff.

Maybe throw a wrench in his works and present him with a classic knife from manufacturers/makers that have been around for a while like Randall Made Knives or similar.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Seen the Bodegas around, nice high end flippers, but for nearly a grand just too rich for my blood, there are tons of quality practical knives for a fraction of the cost. I use my knives, and appreciate a good $200+ folder, but just couldn't bring myself to scrape old paint, cut open bags, and do most any task without the terror of messing up something that cost more than my first car. They do have a "reality" show now too, Blade brothers on Discovery.

i feel the same way...there comes a point when the price tag simply is no longer justified for a working class tool...and i do not own anything that is not a tool, so collectors pieces or art really has no place in my hands...and lets face it, things like this are art...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    i feel the same way...there comes a point when the price tag simply is no longer justified for a working class tool...and i do not own anything that is not a tool, so collectors pieces or art really has no place in my hands...and lets face it, things like this are art...

I don't have much appreciation of art if it detracts from the usefulness, but his knives are still useful and are probably awesome to carry, they just cost too much for a tool that will be damaged with use. I'm a fan of ZTs and Spydercos, they are very well made, and stand up to hard use, good materials, top designers, and for $200 or so you get a knife that can hang with the semi-customs like Bodegas, striders, and XM-18s. For me, a $200 ZT0300 or ZT0560 is indeed 3 times better than a cheap cold steel knife, but a $1000 Basic Bodega is not 3 times better than a ZT0777 IMO.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I don't have much appreciation of art if it detracts from the usefulness, but his knives are still useful and are probably awesome to carry, they just cost too much for a tool that will be damaged with use. I'm a fan of ZTs and Spydercos, they are very well made, and stand up to hard use, good materials, top designers, and for $200 or so you get a knife that can hang with the semi-customs like Bodegas, striders, and XM-18s. For me, a $200 ZT0300 or ZT0560 is indeed 3 times better than a cheap cold steel knife, but a $1000 Basic Bodega is not 3 times better than a ZT0777 IMO.

his knives are indeed very functional, but like you said the price is not justified in the function, so to me... its art. to someone with the money to throw around that may be different

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom