• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Disclaimer for all "Know-it-alls":

This is not the be all end all for handgun shooting but it would be great for many of us to learn good fundamentals. This video demonstrates excellent fundamentals.

Link!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Disclaimer for all "Know-it-alls":

This is not the be all end all for handgun shooting but it would be great for many of us to learn good fundamentals. This video demonstrates excellent fundamentals.

Link!

Call me a "Know-it-all" if you want. That doesn't 'hurt'.

The 'thumbs forward - isoscelese stance' does not work for me.
    I've had back and neck injuries and the 'thumbs forward' grip is just ridiculous. It's not 'natural'. Thumbs normally tend to bend or curve inward/down.

I may not be the 'fastest' shooter around, but, I'm pretty darned accurate, using my old 'Slighly Modified Weaver Stance'.
    For me. . . that stance works!!

Using the 'thumbs forward - isosceles stance'. . . . I can't hit the broadside of a barn, while standing INSIDE the barn!!!!!:innocent0

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The to shooters stress experimenting using what works for oneself. Thumbs high and pointing forward does help manage recoil but is not the end all grip. Many shooters use some variation of it dependent on the particular gun and their hand size and strength. Stooting heavy
    recoiling revolvers I am much faster and accurate using thumb over thumb.

As long as the basics are attended to, safe progress will be made. It does take objective observation and assessment for one's personal best form to evolve. It seems I go through times of much trial and assessment then realize changes in my form.

Now if can just get to Todd Jarrett efficiency :rofl:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You're right, Blaster. Everything else in the shooting form allows greater precision and accuracy, speed, too. But the biggest effect of bullet placement is good sight alignment and a smooth trigger pull for duration of the sight alignment.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just depends on the type of shooting. Target accuracy shooting or self defense. I just find myself teaching my friends self defense mode :) Anywhere center mass is a bullseye ;)

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I recently switched from Weaver to the style shown in that video. It's not comfortable or natural, but I'm much more consistent and accurate with the thumbs forward and elbows locked out.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    One thing for any new shooters to remember is that there is no one rule that fits everyone when it comes to grip/stance, period. Following safety rules is for everyone, not how you hold the handgun or stand. You should experiment with different positions and ways of holding a pistol to see what works best for you. Pay for a little private instruction and let your instructor know what you want to do so they can watch you and help you get something that works for you.

I will say that having been a modified weaver taught shooter that the thumb high grip is much easier to control recoil with and easier to repeat every time than the weaver was. YMMV.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Shooting is much like golf in many aspects--- there are some rules and adages that are fast and firm, but when it comes down to it it's no so much how you achieved your score, but what your score was....

When teaching golf, I always look at the individual being taught and what their abilities/limitations are and go from there... There are some great templates for both golf and shooting, but you also can't be afraid to deviate from those templates sometimes-- both as a student and an instructor...

Both sports have their "I'd rather look good than shoot good" characters-- whether it be the guy in the $200 Nike golf shoes and $100 Bobby Jones shirt with $1500 worth of Callaway clubs in the $300 staff bag ( who can't break 100 on any golf course) or the guy with the $3000 tricked-out 1911, $4500 LWRC including optics, 511 pants and shirts, tactical belt, vest and holster rig (that can't shoot a 10 inch group at any distance). You've also got the guys that don't give a rat's arse about what they're shooting or how they look, and can shoot lights out in either sport.... This could be an entire separate thread....:lol:

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Dang it, I got that totally backwards. I wore my Blackhawk pants and tacvest on the links yesterday. I guess that explains why I kept being allowed to play through. Seriously though, I've met more dead eyes and low handicappers who were dressed for comfort than style. Lost more money to them before I figured that out too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom