Training for competitive pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Does anyone offer training for IDPA / USPSA type shooting? I'd like to improve my game, and don't really feel like yelling "STOP" or "MOVING" everytime I run a drill.

-Jim

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    peacemaker range (outside martinsburg wv) i believe has had a few of these classes.

i've been fortunate to have some experienced shooters give me some tidbits, but generally i just hit all the idpa and uspsa i can and consider them practice for the next match.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely keep my eye on CCJA. Although I feel right now like a class with Todd Jarrett might be too advanced for me. I'm shooting at the top of the MarksMan / low SharpShooter in IDPA, so I have a lot to learn before I could really take advantage of the things Todd could teach me.

-Jim

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I can recommend someone who does give some private lessons from time to time, Robby Orent. A former top junior who was neck and neck with BJ Norris when they were teenagers. Has had some medical issues in recent years and has been in school, but he still shoots at the level of people like Ben Thompson and others when he gets the chance to shoot. Even though I'm almost 65 and Robby is in his 20's almost every useful thing I have learned about shooting competitively came from him in the few years I have been a member of MPC. He trains a team of juniors in ICORE, one of whom in 2011 won a world championship, I think. He still has serious sponsorship from VQ, Zero Bullets, EGW, Militec, and Hodgdon. He is very good at teaching the basics and how to practice correctly. Thanks to him I managed to finish my first IDPA classifier at the Sharpshooter level in 2011 (also started in USPSA last year). His ID on Brian Enos's site is PINMAN44.

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    Go to a match, watch and observe, ask the guys who know what they're doing how they're doing it. Simplest method IMO

Or, better yet, ask them to watch YOU, and give advive on where you can improve. Best way to get better is to have someone who knows tell you where you have the most room for improvement. Then go from there.

Vision

Apr 10, 2011
    Havre de Grace, MD
    I'm in a similar situation having just started off as well, what worked well for me was having someone video me doing my shoot, then getting a friend to watch it and critique it and give me some pointers based on what he saw. With so many people having HD capabilities on their cell phones these days you can get some great video clips of competitions runs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom