• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I get racoons in the barn from time to time usually no problem to trap them with cat food bait. Had one I could not catch no matter what bait I tried. Finally I set up the game cam and discovered the problem, the 'coon was to big to fit in the trap. I had to buy the extra large Have-a-heart trap which did the trick. He was one nasty critter, I wouldn't have wanted to meet up with him in the dark.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Get a permit. Once you trap it, you have to kill it.

Call:
    United States Department of Agriculture
    Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
    Wildlife Services Program (WS)
    1568 Whitehall Road
    Annapolis, MD 21409
    1-877-463-6497
    410-349-8055
    Kevin Sullivan or Paul Peditto
    Permit is for 60 days and is free
    COMAR 08.03.15.03 Landover Wildlife Damage Control Permit
    Statute 10-902 Annotated Code of Maryland

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Anyone still eat them?

It's been years since I have been to Lexington Market in Balto, but Faidley's used to have them. My father, who would be 102, had a pet raccoon in downtown Balto before the war. I've talked to some elderly southern hunters and people used to climb up the tree and catch them and sell them for pet. His learned to go in the toilet!

I had a bluetick hound from champion stock, and they don't crop the tails.

Close up a 22 lr in the head is all you need.

My favorite raccoon story is my friend who had a second home in Grasonville. I got there just after he killed one of two raccoons on his chimney. The other "vanished" I went back a week late and he went inside and found out he got a double and the second fell into the chimney. :lol:

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Raccoon and beaver are two of my favorites!! They are greasy, oily, and delicious!!!
    There is a restaurant in Salisbury that serves muskrat. I'm told it's better than chicken. Like oysters it is an 'R' month food.

As a newbie, my comments on beaver might get me kicked out.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Raccoon and beaver are two of my favorites!! They are greasy, oily, and delicious!!!

Good, I'll skin and dress each coon carcass and you can have them 5.00 each lol. Bvr front quarters you can have for free. I eat the backstraps and rumps. Just get me a place to trap beavers.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I know where some beavers are in Elkton, but don't know who owns the land. Behind whatever that auto place is when you turn off 40 to go into Elkton. It's all swampy in there. Also that swampy stuff down 40 in Harford across from Home Depot.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    My grandfather used to trap them using an orange as bait. Then he'd put the trap in the wheelbarrow and take them 'coon down to the pond for a swimming lesson. According to him they never did well while they were still in the trap.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    My grandfather used to trap them using an orange as bait. Then he'd put the trap in the wheelbarrow and take them 'coon down to the pond for a swimming lesson. According to him they never did well while they were still in the trap.

I use garbage. Any rancid meat will get you a coon overnight. Then subsonic .22lr out of a ruger takedown is my favorite solution for them.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you have one that keeps stealing the bait wire a couple of cat food cans to the back of the trap and put some Marshmallow Fluff in one and grape jelly in the other. So far It has always worked for the difficult ones. Had one that was too big for the trap figured it out with the game cam, had to buy a bigger trap. The bigger trap catches more than the smaller traps, got a double once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom