• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    My first $5 stamp:
    3DB1BF0C-7D6A-442E-ACAA-F9D02ECC5AEB.jpeg

for a 1973 Savage 24 in .22LR / 20ga. 15” bbl 31” oal 6 lbs. This is an AOW under the "Marble's Game Getter" exception (single shot rifle and shotgun between 12"-16"). Since it is legal in 48 states (and Canada: permit required of course... ) & doesn't require a 5320.20, this I have declared the best travel (NFA) gun.
    D46729C5-7493-404E-8A16-A29B26588293.jpeg

Also, this is a no tool takedown version:
    FB030267-43DA-4242-9BB9-A21E79CC4206.jpeg

Remember it’s a sin to have a .22 not be threaded (just remember to remove the can before using the 20ga). I'd love to find someone who could make a blued or ideally case colored tube for my SilencerCo Switchback. For now my old Thompson Machine doesn't look too out of place.
    2640F871-CCE0-4634-BFD1-C4264BB1FBA1.jpeg

Besides adding the Skinner barrel mounted peep sight, the custom leather cartridge holder is from WildWildDill.com , a small Ukrainian business that had to flee their country but, has resumed business in Prague. I’d recommend checking out; besides providing support for their circumstance, they provide excellent work at an exceptional value (this was about $50 shipped).
    ED53881E-45ED-463D-9D36-8AEB5E6D5FEA.jpeg

Last edited:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    That is different for sure! I don't think I have heard of that before. I guess I could see it as a small animal hunting gun?

Sounds like you need a double suppressor with a 22 above a 20G. That would be awesome!

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    That is different for sure! I don't think I have heard of that before. I guess I could see it as a small animal hunting gun?

Sounds like you need a double suppressor with a 22 above a 20G. That would be awesome!
    I haven't shot it for accuracy however, a 20ga slug will take anything in the lower 48.
    If SilencerCo makes a SparrowSalvo, I'll be the first in line ; )

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Do you need an older gun to qualify for that Game Getter exemption or can it be any combination gun like this regardless if age?
    No. "Game Getter" exemption isn't really a thing; just slang. The definition of an AOW is:
    • Any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive;
    • A pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell;
    • Weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading; and
    • Any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire.
    • Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.
    The third one pretty much only describes the Marble's Game Getter at the time. I researched the NFA while getting my masters and couldn't find out the why. I can only imagine that there was a member of the committee who owned one or was personal friends with old man Marble.
    You can make an AOW on a form 1 for $200. I "sold" my Savage receiver to my SOT and he did the engraving and "sold" it to me so I'd get a $5 stamp for the cool points (also saved me $100). Once you have one, they're not subject to the 5320.20 requirement. State laws on AOW's are complex as they might only prohibit cane guns, or treat smoothbore pistols as an SBS. However, the combo gun AOW is legal everywhere except IA, RI & DC (no idea nor care about NYC but GTG in NY State), as well as in Canada.
    While most here I imagine would want a M2HB or some such thing, my dream gun is to get a Connecticut Shotgun (or Beretta) 20ga O/U receiver, register it as an AOW, then get two 26" bbls. One would have an insert for .30-30 (common, effective cartidge that has the same size rime as a .410 so could be fitted with an ejector) welded into the top barrel and cut to about 13". Perfection would be to have a quick change system installed for the stock bolt and have a birds head grip. Topping the short barrel with a rail would be the icing on the cake. This would be my ultimate RV gun since flipping between barrels would make it legal in the last holdouts in the US, and in Mexico (I'd establish residency, which allows for a gun permit). I'd call it the North American Traveller or something. I don't think enough interest could ever be there for Ruger to dust off Red Label tooling but, a girl can dream...

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Aren’t there some Savage guns that are originals that don’t even need an AOW? Similar to stocked pistols that aren’t SBRs?

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Aren’t there some Savage guns that are originals that don’t even need an AOW? Similar to stocked pistols that aren’t SBRs?
    Not sure what you're referring to: a combination gun like this? The shortest one I've seen is the 24C "Campers Companion" which has 20" barrels. I don't see any Savage guns in the "removed from the NFA" list (there are a few Stevens, maybe that's what you're thinking of?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom