• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • missing_the_cheese

Dec 29, 2012
    Perry Hall
    So here’s my dilemma:

I’ve got a Mossberg 500 with 20” barrel and the 8 shot extended mag tube. My friend has set the hook for some turkey hunting this spring and also try out some clays. With that in mind I’m looking at my equipment and if it’ll stack up to the job. When I originally bought the gun I intended it for HD use however at my local range shotguns are limited to slug target shooting only so it only gets used every now and then. Obviously a 20” cylinder bore isn’t going to be the best option so I was looking into threading the barrel for chokes. This leads me to my question:

Is it better to 1) thread the existing 20” barrel for chokes assuming there’s enough material on the existing barrel or 2) buy a standard six shot mag tube and a traditional vent rib barrel for hunting knowing I can get an 18” barrel to retain the HD aspect I purchased the gun for.

Thanks!

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    So here’s my dilemma:

I’ve got a Mossberg 500 with 20” barrel and the 8 shot extended mag tube. My friend has set the hook for some turkey hunting this spring and also try out some clays. With that in mind I’m looking at my equipment and if it’ll stack up to the job. When I originally bought the gun I intended it for HD use however at my local range shotguns are limited to slug target shooting only so it only gets used every now and then. Obviously a 20” cylinder bore isn’t going to be the best option so I was looking into threading the barrel for chokes. This leads me to my question:

Is it better to 1) thread the existing 20” barrel for chokes assuming there’s enough material on the existing barrel or 2) buy a standard six shot mag tube and a traditional vent rib barrel for hunting knowing I can get an 18” barrel to retain the HD aspect I purchased the gun for.

Thanks!

Second barrel gets my vote. Mossy barrels ain't that much. $60 for a turkey choke and you're there.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Agree with the other 2 but your also going to need a good choke do some research lots of good info out there

I've been using the one that came with my Moss 835 Ulti-mag. Shoots tight as all get-out. I had a buddy using it as I called...he shot and killed one at 70yds. with it(he got a little excited and shot too soon). My point is, don't think you have to buy a $150 turkey choke. There are plenty in the $55-$65 range that'll do just fine.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Get another barrel. Because you mentioned clays, go with a longer vent rib that'll take chokes. It's long but will work for turkeys. And you still have your shorter barrel for HD. Buy a choke or two, few different shells, and see what your setup likes.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    A 24" barrel is usually optimal for turkey hunting. Length of barrel has nothing to do with density of pattern.

If I was in your boat, I would get a second barrel in 24" or 26", and use that for almost everything. The 24" can be used at almost every clays place I know of. Most are restricted to 23" or longer. A 24" barrel is also good for turkey hunting, as already mentioned, because it is lighter and can get through the brush easier. A 26" is preferred for upland hunting. A 28"+ is used for waterfowling.

A 26" barrel with chokes is a good compromise for everything but home defense and then you can use the old barrel for home defense.

As already mentioned, you can probably get away with the factory full choke for turkey hunting. Buy some Hevi-Shot turkey loads, which are somewhat pricey. However, they hit really hard and pattern really well. You should not need to shoot too many of them unless you are really, really, really doing something wrong.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I would just buy another shotgun... I mean this is the perfect excuse.

lol - I was thinking the same thing, but have no idea what the OP's financial situation is.

I mean, a dedicated turkey gun with a scope on it that can hit hard out to 70+ yards would be awesome. Granted, you might shoot all of 2 shells through it a year if you are lucky, but it would be EPICALLY AWESOME.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    lol - I was thinking the same thing, but have no idea what the OP's financial situation is.

I mean, a dedicated turkey gun with a scope on it that can hit hard out to 70+ yards would be awesome. Granted, you might shoot all of 2 shells through it a year if you are lucky, but it would be EPICALLY AWESOME.

Throw a Blackhawk! collapsible stock on it, too. Though a lot of people are putting low power scopes on their turkey rigs, I prefer a big red dot instead. I'm afraid of misjudging range with a scope but, that's just me.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Just FYI to those who are suggesting an extra barrel, he's going to need to get a shorter tube to fit a field barrel as he has the long tube and they don't make ribbed barrels for it. It's not an 870, the barrel mount is screwed into the magazine tube.

missing_the_cheese

Dec 29, 2012
    Perry Hall
    Thanks for the input; I think the second barrel option is the best bet. The replacement mag tube isn't too expensive either. It's a compromise to keep both functions hd and field use. Thanks for the inputs!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Buying the barrel, mag tube and spring new is essentially them cost of a new M500. A used barrel with new tube and spring about half that. Good lick with your project.

I just bought a 20" rifle sight barrel for the 8 shot 500. Throws a decent pattern with #4 and 00 Buck but not turkey tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom